Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hooray - My Golden Retriever is finally in whelp.  (Read 15836 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Hooray - My Golden Retriever is finally in whelp.
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 08:39:06 am »
We gave up on scans as none of them were correct, only the first one that showed more than 10, she had 11....It is exciting, I love it! :excited:

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 09:52:18 pm »
Good luck with the litter. I am going to say 5 just because I have never had the number born in a litter that a scan said ::) don't scan anymore
We have been told they are not in pup and they went on to have 5, scanned as 1 big pup and had 6.  Scanned 4 and had 7.  :D
Graham

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 10:31:11 pm »
The lady I took Skye to is supposed to be really good at scanning for puppies. She was recommended by the stud dogs owner and works from her home with a very professional set up.
A second scan and another a week before whelping to see if there might be any problems is free if you are willing to go back, for us it was a three hour journey there.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 10:38:23 pm »
Only sheep scanners are accurate
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 10:50:02 pm »
We only used sheep scanners and never correct, funny thing there was a programme about breeding guide dogs and they never get them scanned either!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 12:16:56 am »
The one I know of is 100% correct every time.  He is used by most breeders in central Scotland.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 11:28:39 am »
Only sheep scanners are accurate
The lady who scanned my dog scans sheep as well and was recommended by the stud dog owner, a judge in the Golden Retriever world. The reason she said 6-8 puppies was because some were very high up and she didn't want to press too hard to pin it down to an exact no.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 12:03:42 pm »
What are the advantages of having the bitch scanned?

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 01:35:58 pm »
I went to the scanner you recommended Anne, Archie forgot his second name but a farmer from Falkirk area, his son used the sheep scanner in his garage and is a lovely chap, his son did it first and said more than 10 so pretty close as we had 11, then after not near, we went to his dad the last time at the farm...........never bothered this last litter although he is nice and its was only £20......I suppose it can be hard to actualy count them all as they wriggle and some will be hidden behind others......I go past his farm every weekend as Steve works near there!!

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
My Golden Retriever is finally in whelp. DUE 6thDEC-Two weeks away!
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2013, 10:46:08 pm »
Getting nearer all the time.  :o
Got most of the gear now just need not to panic when the time comes as first litter ever. ;D  She is such a gentle girl, so hopefully she will be a good Mum. Should be an interesting Christmas in our house this year.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 07:46:15 am »
I love having pups, well my dogs not me, it's great when you have a good set up, access to water, enclosed outside area and easy clean floors etc, and a good whelp ing box.  we have been looking at houses to buy and I think about the suitability all the time.  my chocolate Labrador is so business like I basically just watched her, she ate everything, all pups went straight onto feed and mum made sure they were all feeding.  all I needed was someone around to bring me cups of tea.......it's exciting :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 10:07:51 am »
Oooo, how exciting Karen.  :fc:  all goes well.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2013, 10:19:07 am »
What are the advantages of having the bitch scanned?
It is very useful if teh bitch has a difficult birth.  If you are pretty sure how many pups there are, say 8 on the scan, and she has only had 5 or 6 and appears to have stopped then she is in inertia and needs oxytocin quickly.  Always count the afterbirths so you know there are none left inside, again oxytocin gets it out.  I never let my bitches eat all the placentas as it can cause huge stomach problems.  I allow them one or two as they need the energy while giving birth.
And I haven't mentioned health tests for a while have I?  :innocent:  ALWAYS check what is required for the breed and always get tests done - one makes enough money from the sale of the pups to cover the expense! And always have people waiting for the pups - far too many dogs being bred in the UK just now and far too many ending up in pounds and being killed because people don't want dogs in a recession.

Apologies for the rant - that particular bee will never leave my bonnet  :excited:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2013, 10:59:39 am »
Right, thanks Doganjo. Can see that may help ..... just important I suppose to find a reliable scanner if it's going to be of use.

Dad only bred about 3 litters all the time he worked/showed dogs but remember they were only allowed to eat a couple of afterbirths .... not looked into breeding lately so don't know if the theory is current though.

Dad always had the relevant health tests on his bitches/dogs but couldn't believe how many tests labs have these days  :o . Thought it was just hips, eyes and elbows but our pups parents were DNA tested for things I'd never even heard of. Must try and look into them.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2013, 11:03:34 am »
I know a lot of dogs get either the bad runs or are sick when they eat too many after births but we could not stop Rhum, she is a rock solid stubborn but lovely dog and she never even had the runs after all that yukkkkkk.....we used to not let Islay eat too many though!!!  We had the corn flour on  hand and the cotton just incase the bitch is over enthusiastic about chewing off the cord, we had that with Islay and its scary but with a load of corn flour and tightly tied cotton, the bleed stopped. Don't forget the after care and take the bitch out for a wee with either a torch and on a lead between births, its good if there is some one else around to help! :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS