Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Welsh Black Mountain Sheep  (Read 4161 times)

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
Welsh Black Mountain Sheep
« on: October 31, 2013, 07:38:46 pm »
Hi all,
Am thinking of diversifying into Black Welsh Mountain Sheep as I really like the look of them.
 I was wondering what experiences and thoughts anyone might have on the breed as my research doesn't seem to throw up any negatives with the breed?
Thanks  in advaance
 Fishy.    Aberdeenshire.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: Welsh Black Mountain Sheep
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 08:15:39 pm »
Balloch has black Welsh mountain sheep not to far away from you
, saw them at the Smallholder show lovely sheep I wish I had time for a chat,
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 09:40:23 pm »
Best breed in my opinion.  I kept them for 25 years and would keep them again if I was fit enough  :thumbsup:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 09:59:36 pm »
We keep BWM sheep, they are a nice breed, small enough to handle easily and can be very friendly. I haven't had any problems with lambing and they are good mothers.
They are really hardy and I have had no problems with their feet despite the fact that the fields can be boggy at times.
I also keep Badger faced sheep and I find them to be just as easy and friendly.  I would recommend both of these breeds.
Lea

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 09:29:14 am »
I keep BWM and have yet to see any downside to the breed.  And the taste - the lamb & mutton is fantastic, and the hogget is divine!

Everyone that passes our place say how handsome they look :).  Oh and they don't show the dirt, so they always look smart ;).

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 03:34:23 pm »
The only real downside is that you have to be especially vigilant when looking for maggots. They can be really hard to spot on dark coloured sheep.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 03:46:42 pm »
But on the plus side their wiry fleece doesnt hold the water so much.  I noticed when someone gave me a white suffolk type tiddler one year and when she grew her fleece was soft and stayed wet much longer
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 05:22:34 pm by darkbrowneggs »

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 03:57:32 pm »
I've just got some and my BWM ram is order for next week. Can't wait :excited:

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 11:01:54 pm »
I acquired two Black ewe lambs in a batch of mule/suffolk crosses I bought from where I work.
Although not 100% as their mothers are the Welsh blacks they were crossed with a Suffolk tup, they are nice sheep, if I had the space they would be amongst the ones I'd keep.

When I get round to it I will upload some photos and advertise them  :o

The five or six BWM ewes at work look well and never seem to have any foot problems unlike their fellow texels although they do seem to be good escape artists so decent fences are a must!
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 08:39:27 am »
Everyone one warned me about their propensity to escape, but I must say I never had any problems at all.  At the time I got them my fences weren't as good as they might have been but \i had plenty of grass so they were fine.  The lambs will find gaps when they are young, but I think that's the way with most breeds

Once the flock had been with me for a while they almost became "hefted" to my fields and even if there was a fence problem seemed to stay at home

I suppose there are always the "rouges" in any flock and I wonder if those are the ones which get sent to the mart for someone else to deal with  ::)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 10:16:35 am »
Mine have never tried too hard to escape, as long as they have food available.  They are very agile though so I'm sure if you give them a reason to escape they will manage it with no bother.
I have had one 4? month old lamb escape from a closed trailer though (P6e, ramp up), and my lambs do have a tendency to walk through gates when they are young.  So meshed gates would be especially important if your fields join onto someone elses land or roads etc.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS