Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The Sheep best buy...?  (Read 5349 times)

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
Re: The Sheep best buy...?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 07:08:32 pm »
Working dog-----what he does in 5 minutes would take everybody on this forum all day to achieve

That's as maybe but the majority of those on here only keep a few as a hobby and not the full blown enterprise you operate

5 sheep or 500 a dog will do the work of 20 people in 50th of the time and usually with 100th of the cursing and swearing  ;)

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 08:05:05 pm »
We have a dog Tim......she's far cleverer around the sheep than he is.......she's done a grand job of training him.......tho we've not quite got to the not swearing or shouting at the family stage   :roflanim: :roflanim: :sunshine:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 08:32:25 pm »
Best buy ever was Footvax.  One dose sorted the flock since 2007.  Saved the cost of the vaccine in purple spray in the first year.  Got rid of scald too.  Happier sheep.  Happier me.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2013, 09:34:04 am »
Best buy ever was Footvax.  One dose sorted the flock since 2007.  Saved the cost of the vaccine in purple spray in the first year.  Got rid of scald too.  Happier sheep.  Happier me.

I have had a little scald, How does footvax work? Is it a single dose yearly?

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2013, 06:29:43 pm »
The dogs first, second would be a texel ram I bought for the improvement he made to my stock the third would be the 12volt shearing machine... very very handy!
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2013, 06:55:25 pm »
I have had a little scald, How does footvax work? Is it a single dose yearly?
[/quote]

Scald starts with infection by Fusobacterium necrophorum.  When this initial damage is invaded by dichelobacter nodosus full blown footrot is the result. We trimmed the feet, dipping the footshears in iodine between each foot, then vaccinated and moved the sheep onto fresh pasture.  16 days later we checked the feet again and moved them onto fresh pasture again.  Job done!  We do run a closed flock and treat and quarantine incoming rams and so have never needed to repeat vaccinating.  Only thing I'd do differently is to vaccinate after the flies have died off, as the oil adjuvant caused irritation to the young ewes and they rubbed the site raw and we had to gather them and spray the wound every couple of days for a fortnight.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS