Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted for loan, possible buy ** Childs first Pony **  (Read 13481 times)

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: Wanted for loan, possible buy ** Childs first Pony **
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 06:00:58 am »
Please do not comment on posts in the Marketplace unless it is directly related to the poster's offer / requirements. The posts above from BB etc are neither welcome nor helpful.

This is not the 'please critique my marketplace post' board - if you have a burning issue about a Marketplace post please report the post to the moderators. If you wish to discuss the practice of loaning ponies, or any other subjects, start your own thread in the relevant board.

Please show some respect to other members - you know nothing about them except what they post on here.

Thank you.

Thanks for the public whipping Dan. if you felt so strongly about Berkshire Boys and my own post, then surely a PM would have been the way to go. Removing the posts that you disagreed with would have been a friendlier way of dealing with this matter and would have come across as being far less overbearing.
 Showing respect to other members cuts both ways and a public admonishment of this nature is neither helpful or welcome.
 If comment cannot be passed on adverts, then why have the facility to do so ?
Bodger aka etc.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 07:12:14 am by Bodger »

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 08:16:52 am »
Thanks for the public whipping Dan. if you felt so strongly about Berkshire Boys and my own post, then surely a PM would have been the way to go. Removing the posts that you disagreed with would have been a friendlier way of dealing with this matter and would have come across as being far less overbearing.
 Showing respect to other members cuts both ways and a public admonishment of this nature is neither helpful or welcome.

Goodness, hardly a whipping.  ::) The reason for posting publicly is to educate members about the rules in the Marketplace. The alternative you're suggesting is that we wait until someone else breaches the rules, then PM them, and that's neither good for the Marketplace nor practical for us. And we don't remove posts except as a last resort, that would just be censorship.

If comment cannot be passed on adverts, then why have the facility to do so ?

Perhaps because it's helpful to those seeking clarification, or having something positive to offer, or asking further pertinent questions about the OP's post, and so on?

Thanks,

Dan

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 09:40:13 am »
I think Belwade only have companions at the moment but worth getting in contact as they may be able to let you know if anything suitable comes in....
http://www.worldhorsewelfare.org/rehoming/browse-horses.php?page=2&location=Belwade%20Farm
Sorry if I offend but I'm not convinced Belwade had or have the right attitude.  In 1994, we bought our smallholding. Admittedly I had little experience other than riding lessons and a couple of treks, and an unending love of horses, and I was working 6 hours a day, but John was at home much of the time and my neighbours had had horses for years.  We had 24 acres and two large barns, they turned me down flat without coming out to see me and without explanation despite having at least 5 equines on their website that looked very suitable to me - and we could have had two.  I don't think I've ever forgiven them and but for them sapping my confidence I'd have had my own horse all that time.

I do hope you find something suitable for your daughter, but I doubt the ILPH or whatever it's called now is the answer.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 10:36:02 am »
I think Belwade only have companions at the moment but worth getting in contact as they may be able to let you know if anything suitable comes in....
http://www.worldhorsewelfare.org/rehoming/browse-horses.php?page=2&location=Belwade%20Farm
Sorry if I offend but I'm not convinced Belwade had or have the right attitude.  In 1994, we bought our smallholding. Admittedly I had little experience other than riding lessons and a couple of treks, and an unending love of horses, and I was working 6 hours a day, but John was at home much of the time and my neighbours had had horses for years.  We had 24 acres and two large barns, they turned me down flat without coming out to see me and without explanation despite having at least 5 equines on their website that looked very suitable to me - and we could have had two.  I don't think I've ever forgiven them and but for them sapping my confidence I'd have had my own horse all that time.

I do hope you find something suitable for your daughter, but I doubt the ILPH or whatever it's called now is the answer.

Their inmates have come from bad circumstances in many cases so even with a good set up they might have only wanted experienced adopters, though the way this is communicated by charities can often leave a lot to be desired!

I think it would be unfair from a single case in 1994 to advise someone not to pursue this route.

It may well not produce anything of course,  simply as safe first ponies are rarely available as rescues as they are in demand ( and worth money) and whatever their age their next child rider  is usually waiting in the wings for them.

But it's worth asking/registering with them.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 07:41:20 pm »
I know it's far away but I was in at the Scottish Equestrian Hotel just outside Lanark today and Maureen, the owner, mentioned that she was downsizing from her current 68 ponies. Might be worth having a look  :) I thought Bramble sounded nice  :love:

http://www.scottishequestrianhotel.com/home/for-sale.html

Kirsty f

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Newmill, Keith, Banffshire
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 09:53:08 pm »
Thanks Rosemary, will have a look now,
Kirsty F

Kirsty f

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 10:07:06 pm »
I have sent them an email Rosemary,  looks like they could have a few that may be suitable.  Thanks again.

Really appreciate it

Kirsty
Kirsty F

HallePalomino

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Forth Valley, Scotland
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 07:36:15 pm »
Kirsty, I will keep an eye out for something suitable, I'm on most of the facebook pages for Central Scotland at least and regularly keep an eye on gumtree etc. Shouldn't be too difficult to get something somewhere in Scotland, and most people don't mind if you're far away as long as you keep in touch with regular updates, etc.

Once again the hounding that someone gets on hear for looking for a horse loan is ridiculous. It is such a common practice in the equine world, yet on here you would think you'd committed a crime for asking for such a thing!

Best of luck in your search :)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2013, 08:02:21 am »
there's a sweet grey 12.3 called Tigger on the Horsey Stuff for Sale in Aberdeenshire FB page that might be worth a look. He's only 4 but sounds a good sort (good to hack etc) and comes with all his wardrobe, Being sold by a lady called Maya Paul.

It's about halfway down the first page.

Hth

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 06:07:08 pm »
A pony like this will have taken years of someone's time and patience.

Of course it has.  I own such a saint, and know the work that goes in.  However, when my boys have outgrown him, I will NEVER sell him, but would certainly consider a loan to a lovely family where we can keep in touch, and visit and see him having fun with a new child.  No help to the original poster as my smallest son is not yet 2, so we'll need him a long time yet, but her advert would certainly have caught my eye was he ready to move on now.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2013, 08:26:18 pm »
Have you tried willows animal sanctuary nr strichen?
Some of their ponies are there due to financial hardship. Worth a try.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2013, 05:50:10 pm »
Maybe contact the Deveron branch of the pony club as they may know of something suitable
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Kirsty f

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2013, 09:57:19 pm »
Hiya,

Just to let you know,  we have found a pony with the help of members of TAS,  Thank you all for your help.  We are absolutely thrilled.

regards
Kirsty
Kirsty F

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2013, 10:15:04 pm »
Hiya,

Just to let you know,  we have found a pony with the help of members of TAS,  Thank you all for your help.  We are absolutely thrilled.

regards
Kirsty

:thumbsup:
We have a lovely little welsh sec A. who we bought as a 3yr old, she has been in 2 loan homes and has now come home for my 6yr old granddaughter.  She is now just perfect for a first pony with a lot more miles on the clock.
Anne

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 08:58:10 pm »
My horse has been out on loan for over 6 years now. have to say I am very lucky with the 2 women who have her. She is not far from me and I can turn up anytime to check that she is well. on the other hand I know a few who put their horses out on loan and never saw them again. people moved and were never heard of again. Cases have gone through the courts trying to get horses back that went out on loan then sold on. Good that you have found your dream pony, hope it works out. I have had from World Horse Welfare in the past, a little Highland for my stepson to ride when he was a boy. She was only 4 and I had to break her and bring her on . When Colin went to collage she moved from us to another loan home through Belwade.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS