Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Current Health Issues  (Read 23612 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Current Health Issues
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 01:49:13 pm »
I use Advocate - it is  a broad spectrum combination treatment, effective against fleas, flea larvae, roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, heartworms and Sarcoptic mange, ear and Demodex mites.

It seems to deter ticks although it doesn't say that - but I use a tom tick remover if I see any.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 02:01:48 pm »
Lots of notices in our vets about lungworm becoming a serious problem - years ago it was hardly ever mentioned.  Please be aware.  Only known one working dog with it and she was pts pdq (pretty damn quick :( ).

Just got back from the vets having had boosters done on mine, wormed them last week with stuff I got from pets at home, vet has told me that next time to get the stuff from her as the one she prescribes actually prevents lungworms to, but it's prescription only, she told me the name of it but I forgot it almost immediately, the ones from pet shops don't apparently do anything with lungworms

Ditto on advocate, used frontline last time and dogs still had fleas, so this time washed them all with vetzyme shampoo, which is insecticidal, then used advocate, all gone now

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 11:18:05 am »
I thought snails carried lungworm? It is a certain type of snail though.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 11:41:58 am »
are you confusing lungworm and fluke?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 12:17:04 pm »
Dog lungworm are carried by certain slugs and snails.
Check out the BAYER website, it gives lots of really useful information about the parasites - fleas, ticks, mites, worms, and details of what the products cover.
Advocate definitely will help for lungworm prevention, and treats roundworms, mites and fleas. It's not licensed for ticks, but potentially will have some effect.
My dogs get SERESTO collars from Bayer which kill and repel ticks - my long haired German Shepherd only got one tick in the whole of his holidays in Mull, running around in the bracken!

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 12:55:13 pm »
Apologies if I am telling anyone anything they know :)

CSJ do a herbal mix (or a liquid from myitchydog) called Billy No Mates ( ;D ) which is full of things like lemon balm to deter beasties. I am not in a high tick area, but I do take my dogs to work with me (vet hosp) and since using it, I've had no lodgers, whereas they'd occasionally pick up fleas from work. I use it instead of flea and tick treatment in my dogs, but it would be pretty good to use for fleas and then use chemicals for ticks if you were in a high tick area.

I have collies so using any of the ivermectin family makes me a bit leary due to their being a risk of MDR1 genes.
(Advocate is a cousin and is thought to be safe, but with any dog that is MDR1 positive there is still a risk)

MDR1 is a gene found in some breeds and their crosses (http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vcpl/breeds.aspx) where they have a gene that causes reactions to drugs that are normally safe in other breeds

With Border Collies, the risk is low, but essential for Shelties and other herding breeds  but the test for it is a simple cheek swab or blood test : http://www.laboklin.co.uk/laboklin/showGeneticTest.jsp?testID=8032

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2016, 10:11:00 am »
I have a situation where the livery next door keeps infesting my horses with lice (I wish someone would teach them how to look after animals)! 

How about giving them some medication to try saying something like - "I notice you seem to have the same problem as I had with my horses and wondered if you'd tried this"  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS