Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Views on English Springer Spaniel Breed  (Read 3379 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Views on English Springer Spaniel Breed
« on: August 07, 2016, 08:35:14 am »
As the title says - we may have a chance of an ESS pup from working lines.  Before I commit I thought I'd ask around as we've never kept a spaniel of any variety  before.  All info welcome.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
Re: Views on English Springer Spaniel Breed
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 08:42:41 am »
I've always had spaniels - two ESS and two cockers, so far.  All lovely, but the springers have definitely been easier to train than the cockers!  Lovely, lovely dogs.  Where many people go wrong is trying to tire them out by lots of exercise; they just get fitter and fitter  ;D  They live by their noses, so give them a field full of interesting sniffs to potter around for a minimum of 40 minutes twice a day and you'll have a happy, relaxed dog who's content to snooze the rest of the time.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 09:31:13 am »
My mum had a springer spaniel, lovely dog. My brother also had one and they are absoloutely gorgeous to have around. Very good with children, depending on breeding, they are very bouncy and love attention. A perfect family pet too and excellent workers. I have been tempted to buy one myself in times past, but have always stuck with collies ::)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 11:10:08 am »
Working bred bspringers are totally different from show ones, but as I said in a previous post most working dogs can have their brains exercised to keep them busy - just takes a little thought.  It depends on whether this one has already been worked or not.  If it has then you may have more to contend with, but if it's a very young pup - say under three months then you'll be fine.  I had a Brittany pup that gathered sheep for us.  She just died a few weeks ago.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 03:40:29 pm »
I have 2 springers. Personally I think they are fantastic, but my fella thinks otherwise. He can't cope with their busy-ness compared to the labs. I think you do need patience and a good sense of humour!
Agree with them needing a job and lots of nose work. It also helps if you can teach them to relax. It doesn't do them any favours being wired all the time.

Having had 2, I would certainly have another, but I appreciate they aren't for everyone.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 04:03:53 pm »
I have 2 springers. Personally I think they are fantastic, but my fella thinks otherwise. He can't cope with their busy-ness compared to the labs. I think you do need patience and a good sense of humour!
Agree with them needing a job and lots of nose work. It also helps if you can teach them to relax. It doesn't do them any favours being wired all the time.

Having had 2, I would certainly have another, but I appreciate they aren't for everyone.
Agree about relaxing.  I have added another command to Missy's vocabulary - 'settle'  This means that she can wander around at will within a yard or so of me, no further, isn't allowed to jump around and get excited, can sit, lie down, roll on her back at will, again, so long as it is within a yard or so.  Working well so far.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 05:47:25 pm »
We have a Sringer. She is of a lovely temperament and is quite chilled for a Springer. Her sister is on eof the 'wired' types - I'm glad we've got the quieter one1 She is very intelligent and understands loads of commands. She is always anticipating our movement before we've properly thought of them. Lovely dogs.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 07:14:07 pm »
I have a working springer and have been unable to teach him to relax. I find it waring.. think relaxing walk, picnic, watching birds, maybe a nap in the sun, camping, or working at desk, and he is always on the go!
Easy and fun to train - In his day he'd sit and stay for an hour while I left him to shoot bunnies and not move, or walk to heel at a glance and half a nod, and even try herding sheep (doesn't work, has no presence, but did follow my "away/come" commands and arm signals for direction. The happiest, most grateful dog in the world, but being in the presence of a coiled spring, who's just about holding his breath, nearly whining, because he wants to go, Go, GO, GO! is tiring when you want to do any of the things above.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 11:03:45 pm »
Cracking dogs if you are prepared to put in the training. They never go for a walk they just hunt so you HAVE to put in lots of training before you can do off lead relaxing walks! Also I've never known one that doesn't pull on the lead like a steam train!  Good family dogs and very loyal.

Check out any blogs by Pippa Mattinson (Mattison?) Some really good training tips and explains spaniels very well.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 10:02:59 am »
I have a working springer and have been unable to teach him to relax. I find it waring.. think relaxing walk, picnic, watching birds, maybe a nap in the sun, camping, or working at desk, and he is always on the go!
Easy and fun to train - In his day he'd sit and stay for an hour while I left him to shoot bunnies and not move, or walk to heel at a glance and half a nod, and even try herding sheep (doesn't work, has no presence, but did follow my "away/come" commands and arm signals for direction. The happiest, most grateful dog in the world, but being in the presence of a coiled spring, who's just about holding his breath, nearly whining, because he wants to go, Go, GO, GO! is tiring when you want to do any of the things above.
So if he sat still for an hour 'in his day' why isn't he still doing it?  Have you changed the command for that?  If not, then retrain it with the command 'settle' - that's effectively what i am doing as I can't go shooting with my dogs any more.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 06:24:46 pm »

So if he sat still for an hour 'in his day' why isn't he still doing it?  Have you changed the command for that?  If not, then retrain it with the command 'settle' - that's effectively what i am doing as I can't go shooting with my dogs any more.
[/quote]

Same, I don't go shooting any more and he's now deaf  :-\
That's kinda my point - even though he would sit/lie down and stay, he'd STILL be right on the cusp of 'doing', straining to hear any noise, or whistle; never just be wasting time, contemplating life. He does this now, he's old and after getting run over last year hangs about and sleeps a lot (but took more than 10years to settle down!)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS