Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Whos chickens are still laying?  (Read 28653 times)

taz08

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: Whos chickens are still laying?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 05:27:41 am »
Geting a couple of doz per day  outa 70odd birds ,, got 30 odd moulting tho soo not bad :excited:

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 08:14:29 am »
Last year my July hatch started laying in November, so I'm hoping my June hatch from this year are due to start soon? Who knows!

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 09:33:23 am »
This is a sore point for us as we have 8-10 potential egg laying hens but barely 1 or 2 eggs a day.

In the past the hens have been completely free range and by mid-morning they disappear into the woods. We suspect they are stockpiling eggs somewhere - either that or we have clever chickens that can hold eggs in for weeks on end!

Every month or so we eventually track down one of them sitting on a clutch and have to dispose of 10-12 eggs which is getting just a little disheartening

The latest plan (as detailed in my blog) is to fence them in for at least part of the day to encourage them to use the nest boxes provided. I don't have much hope for success but it's worth a try and we have to do something...  ::)

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 11:43:48 am »
I got 3 CLB x eggs and 2 IG cross and one from our Light sussex. Actually had a duck egg to!- have 8 ducks, this is the first egg in six months...
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 11:51:22 am »
Some of mine are moulting but out of 40ish I am getting between 12-18 eggs a day.
Ducks zilch and they eat a huge amount of feed, they always seem to be starving, hopefully wil be able to get wheat and barley for everyone soon .
Anne

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 01:14:58 pm »
My 20 odd had dropped to 2-3 a day but then I discovered a stash of 13 so they'd not stopped as much as I thought  ::) and I made quiches for the freezer with any that didn't float (and the 2 I broke when I fell coming out of the undergrowth!). 

Since then I'm back to finding 2-3 a day..  I don't believe that's it but as I just had 46 round bales of hay delivered I guess I won't be finding any more until February as they'll shift operations into the stack gaps within a day or so  ???   I don't mind too much as I am sick of eating excess eggs, but I've 3 customers that like to keep buying through the winter so I don't want to lose them if possible..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 04:45:41 pm »
I've just picked most of my female birds up in the last few months but the older ones are starting to lay well now.

I do have them on 16 hours lighting though   ;D

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 05:33:36 pm »
I wonder if the black rocks will still be laying?  they were but they soon come into malt, then they look horrid and  like they will make the oven without plucking!!

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 06:20:20 pm »
Our 2 copper marans are still laying every day. The cream crested legbar essentially never got into the swing of it - I think she may have laid for about a month bbut not since. The other copper maran is still being mum to the 5 week old chicks

caracroft

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Essex
  • 3 Saddlebacks and 12 Copper Black Chickens
    • Caras Croft Blog
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2013, 09:40:21 am »
My 12 hybrids are still giving me 9 a day at the moment.  Didnt realise how lucky I was!!! :excited:

FrostyM

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wicklow, Ireland
    • My Overcrowded Garden
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2013, 10:49:18 am »
From our "laying flock" of 10 hens and 4 ducks we are getting about 5 a day and our "meat breeding flock" of 5 la bresse hens and 2 cockerels we are getting 4 or 5 a day. Smallish eggs from the la bresse but they are steadily growing in size. They are a great dual purpose bird. I would consider saving a few girls from the freezer in next year's batch to use as replacement layers.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2013, 11:15:23 am »
We are getting 3 from 7 - our few hens are moulting like mad!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2013, 12:47:36 pm »
we have 2 in our laying group left

and they are averaging 5 each per week currently

a far more exciting game is when will my youngsters start laying (born end of july) will i get any pretty eggs before Christmas or will they make me wait till spring!!!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 12:54:41 pm »
 :'(  1 teeny weeny egg per day from a teeny weeny bantam.

Had to buy some eggs  :o  .... they were yuk

Would buy a few pullets to lay over winter but we still have the dreaded mite so doesn't seem fair.  :(

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, 01:19:51 pm »
15 to 18 from 30 odd birds. Mix of ages but I've got 7 hybrids just coming up to lay so I'm hoping they will keep us going through winter. Lots of moulting going on at the moment.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS