Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Curing query?  (Read 4351 times)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Curing query?
« on: August 11, 2009, 06:16:07 pm »
Hi I am about to have a go at dry curing our pork for bacon and ham, bought all the necessary from design a sausage! the recommended curing time is 5-8 days, I dont like bacon too salty so should I leave it fewere days assuming the longer its curing the saltier it gets?
Also with the ham do I tip the fluid out each day and re-rub in the cure or leave it in the juices? All help to make this a success much appreciated! thanks.

HappyHippy

Re: Curing query?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 06:24:25 pm »
Hi Dixie,
There's instructions for dry & wet curing in the articles section - from Rosemary's expert instructions, you do need to tip out the 'juice' and re-rub the cure in and although you don't like the salt I think the 5-8 days is a minimum as she mentions people curing for up to 2 weeks (those who like it salty)
Probably worth checking it out yourself, just to be sure  ;)

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 09:27:43 pm »
Last year I used one of those clear plastic stackable box thingies with a lid,about 2.5ft x 1.5 x 1.5ft roughly. I drilled a 8mm hole through the side wall,right at the bottom. Then wedged the other end up so all the juices flowed out through the hole into an old saucepan. It saved a lot of faffing about with trying to tip a box weighing 60lb plus and trying to keep all the meat and salt from falling onto the floor. If you're worried about flies getting in through the hole,sellotape a flap of plastic.
 It worked so well last year,I will be doing the same tomorrow when I get to butcher C & D who were home killed this evening......... Ree
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 06:40:42 am by MrRee »
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

welshboy

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 10:34:24 pm »
If the meat is too salty try soaking/boiling it a bit before cooking it properly. The water extracts the salt which you pour away.

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 07:58:34 am »
We salt our bacon for 14 days, then it will keep, hanging in the pantry, for months in cool weather.  We soak the rashers of bacon in warm water for 10 mins before cooking and they're fine. 
Are you taking the bone out of the Ham?  We were not sure the salt got in deep enough with the bone in and will "tunnel bone" it this year.

Good luck!

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 08:37:57 am »
Thanks everyone, seems you all do it slightly differently, I suppose it takes a few goes to get it 'just right'! I'm a bit nervous leaving it to air dry :-\ and think I'll have a go in a plastic bix in the fridge? Ree I like the idea of the drainage hole! yes I'm planning to have the ham boned,  I'm away a few days next week so will have a go upon my return! Any more tips gratefully received, I will let you know how it turns out!
Also I never knew about the articles section, its full of wonderful ideas thanks!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS