Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Plum tree  (Read 2582 times)

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
Plum tree
« on: September 23, 2013, 05:33:04 am »
We have a very old plum tree, its half dead, wrotten throughout though still gave fruit, can we take cuttings ? do we need to graft the cuttings
The tree is in the wrong place plus it's almost had it, how long would cuttings take before we know they are successful?

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Plum tree
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 10:38:49 pm »
Is it on its own root stock? Or is it grafted itself? Unless it's very old, I'd guess its on a root stock in which case, yes, you'd have to graft. Hard to do - not even attempted it myself. It's important to match the root stock with the plum variety - do you know what it is?

Also don't underestimate the power of a good prune to regenerate a fruit tree. My friends had five apples and pears that they thought were dead but I gave them all a hefty prune last winter and they're looking loads better now. I think plums are tougher & more headstrong but certainly don't give up without a bit of a fight for it. I've got some big old Bramleys that are half rotten but still showing plenty of vigour. How big is it now?

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS