Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do you dispatch your chooks  (Read 14779 times)

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
How do you dispatch your chooks
« on: September 19, 2013, 09:43:48 pm »
A pellet to the head? A knife to the throat? Break the neck first? A quick swift axe..... Must be the full moon and all these dead questions.... Dry pluck, wet pluck? I'm at it again research before the plunge.. Thanx for any replys.... Bet there's more views than replys as norm ha ha :innocent: :-J

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: How do you dispatch your chooks
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 11:54:19 pm »
I'm still working up to it - two drakes are already marked and I'm struggling facing up to a couple of cockerels too. I'm calling in help to show me that broom stick method - apparently she puts them into some sort of stupor by holding them upside down and then you lay them out, broom stick held firmly down over the neck & then pull up the legs. Dislocates the neck in one swift move. That's the theory....

Also need to check out the plucking and dressing.

Good luck - let us know how it goes.

H

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 04:18:41 am »
Upside down, knife to the neck and wet pluck... Its all over and done with very quickly!  With duck I have always dry plucked straight after killing the bird, while its still warm...

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 04:25:03 am »
 :roflanim: I always seem to be out when they need doing so the wife has to do it (pulls the neck)  :roflanim:

Personally i'd probably shoot them back of the head.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 10:10:59 am »
Several threads on this already with detailed answers/debate !!!!

There is a search facility .... someone else can probably point you in the right direction if you can't find them.

Several options and debate as to which is the most humane.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 10:29:19 am »
broomstick method.

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 10:29:28 am »
Currently working up the courage to be ready for this myself sometime in October I think

There are so many opinions and the only thing I'm sure about so far is that you just have to get on and do it using your own preferred method rather than worrying too much about other options or peoples opinions.

For me the main thing is to avoid unnecessary pain or stress for the bird as a result of my own ignorance or inexperience!

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 10:57:27 am »
killing cone, pellet to the head.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 11:15:35 am »
Currently working up the courage to be ready for this myself sometime in October I think

There are so many opinions and the only thing I'm sure about so far is that you just have to get on and do it using your own preferred method rather than worrying too much about other options or peoples opinions.

For me the main thing is to avoid unnecessary pain or stress for the bird as a result of my own ignorance or inexperience!

dito.  My thoughts. :-\

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 11:19:09 am »
wring the neck and dry pluck then hang for a few days somewhere cold before gutting.
hanging by the feet allows the blood to drain to the neck and saves the need of bleeding it.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 11:10:22 pm »
With the broomstick method the neck of the bird is most definitely NOT dislocated by pulling its legs!!!  :rant:
It's not about pulling the bird, it's about the second step on the stick - the (gentle!) pulling is merely to stretch the  spine before you make the second step (the latter is what dislocates the neck).

As mentioned above, the correct method of using the broomstick to dispatch a chicken has been described on this forum several times already. Even better, ask someone who knows what they are doing to show you - there's a lady in Somerset who teaches the method, and if you're near Herts I can show you.

As for plucking etc: if you're not going to roast them, you can always just take them out of their jacket. ;)  If you wet pluck them, make sure the water isn't boiling nor too cold as it won't work properly. I can look up the right temperature if you like (that's hubby's domain, I do the killing), it makes a big difference when it's exactly right.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 08:17:38 am »

As for plucking etc: if you're not going to roast them, you can always just take them out of their jacket. ;)

we do that, so much quicker than gutting and plucking. we cut the breast out and the legs, then let the dogs finish off what they want. they dont it all. mind you we have loads of land for the dogs but they always leave feathers on my doorstep!  ::)

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 09:45:35 am »
We use a hand held humane dispatcher for the hens like this one http://www.ukpoultrysupplies.co.uk/hand-dispatcher although I don't remember it being expensive when we bought it 25 years ago.
It's very quick and there is no blood or mess, it just parts the cervical spine and cuts off the blood flow so is instant. You can hold the bird in your arms, chat to it and tickle it's wattles as you put the dispatcher round the neck, so it has no idea what's coming. It's a good death :)

We snuck out last night and lifted an elusive cockerel from his bed so he was still half asleep when he went to his maker, I'm off out to pluck him in a minute. I quite like plucking birds it's peaceful and methodical and doesn't take many minutes once you get a technique. I don't much enjoy gutting but a nicely trussed bird really shows off the breast and thighs and looks good on the table.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:57:28 am by JulieWall »
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 12:45:00 pm »
i used a wall mounted dispatcher once, but never again. blood was all up the walls and the bird wasnt dead. by hand is much kinder, plus you can feel more, you can feel the neck break, the gap in the spine, the cord snap, the flutter and the life fade away. you can make sure its done right and quickly.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 08:54:33 am »
So many different ideas..suppose everyone has their own ways I will have to see which one suits me.. Thanx everyone  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS