Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do you dispatch your chooks  (Read 14869 times)

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
Re: How do you dispatch your chooks
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2013, 10:49:41 am »
we've always used the broom handle after a friend showed me some years ago. the bird seems to just relax once laid flat on the floor and it feels as if you have complete control over the whole event

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2013, 12:01:10 pm »
a colleague of OHs mentioned a ratbuster? had a quick google-would a .22 ratbuster pistol do the job on chickens, homebred rabbits and possibly turkeys?

Don't see why not but I would still recommend dislocating or bleeding immediately afterwards, I've never seen any bird bleed properly from an airgun pellet to the head.

it's a LOT easier to dislocate or cut the neck of an already dead bird from both the physical and mental perspectives!

I would still learn how to dislocated the neck by hand though, its a good failsafe backup to have.

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2013, 12:02:37 pm »
clansman is correct, they don't really bleed out from the head wound and still need bleeding.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2013, 12:55:42 pm »
ok thanks for the help-necking a dead bird/cutting wouldn't bother me. When they are ill/injured and need necking I find it alot easier, I know I can do it if I must but would just prefer shooting I think when faced with more to do.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2013, 01:17:19 pm »
My son in law did ours and it did not bother me in the least, he went into their hut and took them out when it was dark and just slit their throat... :o :o ...quick and in their sleep but a tad messy..he also had a very sharpe knife that no way would I be able to use,
we plucked them very soon after when they were warm and it was not too bad actualy!! I shocked myself...although posting photos of several dead hung hens and 2 hung Deer was not a great move on my behalf as many of my friends are vegetarian and funnily I do not eat much meat!

THE HAPPY POULTRY FARMER

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2013, 12:34:56 am »
TO EVERYBODY ON THE FORUM THIS IS THE MOST CORRECT AND UP TO DATE INFORMATION , ALSO THE MOST LEGAL HOPE THIS HELPS  http://www.hsa.org.uk/POULTRY%20WEBSITE/Poultry%20Slaughter%20Project/PSPSite/Introduction.html

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2013, 10:47:14 am »
We use a hand held humane dispatcher for the hens like this one http://www.ukpoultrysupplies.co.uk/hand-dispatcher although I don't remember it being expensive when we bought it 25 years ago.
It's very quick and there is no blood or mess, it just parts the cervical spine and cuts off the blood flow so is instant. You can hold the bird in your arms, chat to it and tickle it's wattles as you put the dispatcher round the neck, so it has no idea what's coming. It's a good death :)

We also use one of these.  Got it from Ascott - it's called Semark pliers, I think.  As you say, very quick, no mess.  Just hold the bird for a few minutes until the electrical activity stops and the bird ceases flapping.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2013, 11:07:01 am »
I see the HSA doesn't recommend them though, odd that, as my experience is that done correctly it is amazingly fast and the neck bones separate enough to feel your finger and thumb touching through the skin. Perhaps there is scope to get it wrong but I can't see how myself :? I'm curious now ...........

The HSA is a good organisation and are responsible for many of the improvements made to the slaughterhouse system in the last few decades.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2013, 11:45:33 am »
I see the HSA doesn't recommend them though, odd that, as my experience is that done correctly it is amazingly fast and the neck bones separate enough to feel your finger and thumb touching through the skin. Perhaps there is scope to get it wrong but I can't see how myself :? I'm curious now ...........

The HSA is a good organisation and are responsible for many of the improvements made to the slaughterhouse system in the last few decades.

Its the crush factor, it is possible using these just to crush the neck bone and break it that way rather than to actually dislocate it.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2013, 12:10:19 pm »
Oh, I see. I always feel for the space between the vertebrae first.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2013, 04:07:50 pm »
if your quemish see HOW TO KILL GEESE

SB1983

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2013, 09:47:11 pm »
I have 2 drakes earmarked for the pot and would like to raise some meat chickens next year.  I have dispatched chickens before by hand neck dislocation ( many years ago) but never a great, big fat drake. I think the broomstick method seems best but would like someone to show me how. Is there anyone in the east northants/n.Beds/Huntingdon area whom I could take the birds to for  a hands on demo lesson or even somewhere I could help out with the slaughter of their own birds to get the hang of the method and build my confidence?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS