Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Maximising Returns from sheep  (Read 14585 times)

gulli

• Joined Jul 2012
Re: Maximising Returns from sheep
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2013, 05:40:06 pm »
targeted feeding depending on your system can be beneficial if you lamb indoors then its generally the simplest way to get minerals into them etc. But I still stand by the fact that you are better off not feeding them, and improving your flock genetics to allow you to finish off grass alone.
Without meaning to upset anyone I would suggest that if you think your ground is too tough then your sheep are too weak, Take a look at the kiwis.

I agree that it does make them easy to handle and move though. Although if you spend enough time with them then they become fairly tame anyway

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2013, 07:50:21 pm »
I don't feed my sheep but they are extremely tame, they will run up and have cuddles and one or two will try and sit on my lap!

I agree yes that grass is definatly not good all year around, however the breed of sheep I chose was one that can survive on the grass when it is non existent, thus doing really well when the grass is ok.

Also my ewes do produce twins although I do not flush them before hand as I don't mind if they produce singles or twins.

I am moving my ewes to new grazing up in Stroud hopefully this coming weekend, at the moment they are in a little paddock with no grass and a bit of hay so they should be very happy after the move :)

I suppose to make the most out of your ewes the thing that needs to be cut is the thing that costs the most, but if you are happy with feeding them the amount you are, then maybe try and do something with the wool? although not sure how Suffolk wool can be used..

Or maybe lamb skin rugs?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2013, 08:03:03 pm »
I like my system. Shetlands, no hard feed, just hay and a mineral block, or if it's especially deep snow for weeks when in lamb, a bucket lick.

Inexpensive to buy and keep.

Ok they aren't worth much to sell. And a vet visit means an automatic loss on that animal even if it's cured. However, if it doesn't make it, the money written off might be £30 not £100.

No birth interventions, ever. No losses post birth. Only one ever having to be helped as a bit dopey (tuned twice and then fine). No abandonments ever. 150% lambing year in and out.

The value doesn't matter so much when they are mainly raised for us and friends and family. (tho having to sell some this year as they all keep producing ewe lambs which I prefer not to eat if it can be avoided). And the most amazing lamb and ESP hoggett.

Have too many ATM  (45 altho that does include 6 Herdwicks and their 3 Herdwick x Ryeland lambs (they're funny looking bruisers :-)) so will be reducing soon, but I will def retain the core herd!

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2013, 08:45:45 pm »
This is same as my system :)

Although my lambing % is more 160, and I cross breed with a terminal sire, so lambs finish quicker and are big and chunky

Shetlands are brilliant If understood and I will never go back to a different breed for a maternal ewe :)

On the plus side they have cleared my paddocks of nettles, thistles, docks and brambles! they will go for the weeds before the grass!

I like my system. Shetlands, no hard feed, just hay and a mineral block, or if it's especially deep snow for weeks when in lamb, a bucket lick.

Inexpensive to buy and keep.

Ok they aren't worth much to sell. And a vet visit means an automatic loss on that animal even if it's cured. However, if it doesn't make it, the money written off might be £30 not £100.

No birth interventions, ever. No losses post birth. Only one ever having to be helped as a bit dopey (tuned twice and then fine). No abandonments ever. 150% lambing year in and out.

The value doesn't matter so much when they are mainly raised for us and friends and family. (tho having to sell some this year as they all keep producing ewe lambs which I prefer not to eat if it can be avoided). And the most amazing lamb and ESP hoggett.

Have too many ATM  (45 altho that does include 6 Herdwicks and their 3 Herdwick x Ryeland lambs (they're funny looking bruisers :-)) so will be reducing soon, but I will def retain the core herd!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS