Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New coop needs painting/sealing - what can I use?  (Read 6772 times)

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
New coop needs painting/sealing - what can I use?
« on: September 07, 2013, 06:08:13 pm »

Husband is just finishing off a lovely new coop he's made of timber and exterior grade marine plywood. I appreciate it won't last forever but our budget is tight and our girls (and boys) need some new housiong for the winter so this will be better than nothing.

What can I paint/seal it with? I haven't got any creosote, and really I need the house in use as soon as possible! Is normal fence type stain okay? Is there any problem with it and hens/eggs?

Is it worth painting the inside white in order to try to extend the 'light' period each day (or did I imagine I read that idea somewhere?)

taz08

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: New coop needs painting/sealing - what can I use?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 07:32:50 pm »
cuprinol ducks back

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 07:58:28 pm »
yes, the Cuprinol ducks back is really easy to apply and wax based so perfectly safe.  Doesn't cost much either and comes in lovely colours.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 11:53:46 pm »
We've used Cuprinol too - the garden shades but they're more expensive and the only difference is they look prettier so you're better off with the ducks back. No idea about painting the inside white really - don't imagine it'll make much difference. I painted the inside of our new duck house white but just because I was painting the outside white before assembly and reckoned it would be good to waterproof it inside too. I think it just shows up the dirt quicker though!

H

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 08:32:45 am »
I would paint all interior plywood surfaces with a primer and white gloss. It lightens the interior which makes it easier for you and the birds. It also stops the formation of mould spores on the plywood surfaces. Plywood doesn't 'breathe' so you will get condensation on the surfaces that rapidly becomes black mould. With that comes serious respiratory infection, as we found out. We did try varnish but it wasn't very good and did go black in time. Interior wood you can leave. Exterior we use Cuprinol garden shades which works well as it allows the wood to breathe.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 09:55:49 am »
yes for cuprinol, safe for pets and dries easily. we do it every year and not too pricey.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS