Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poultry Netting - Not Electric  (Read 3277 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Poultry Netting - Not Electric
« on: September 05, 2013, 06:06:48 pm »
Hi,

I'm having a new fox-proof run put up in a few weeks which will be big - big enough for geese, ducks, the breeding chicken pens and maybe turkeys eventually (away from the chickens). I posted a while ago about how to divide up the areas and have decided to go for poultry netting. I don't need it to be electric because the perimeter fence will (hopefully) keep the foxes out (is working so far on my current run). I've got some Omlet fencing which I've been using to keep my chickens and waterfowl apart and it works brilliantly but it's expensive. Has anybody used any from anywhere else that has both the netting and the posts? It doesn't need to be super high because none of my breeds are flyers at the moment (Orpingtons, large ducks, geese) so 1.2m would probably do it.

Thanks!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Poultry Netting - Not Electric
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 10:19:46 pm »
Hiya,

I tried to save some money in a similar situation by using iron spikes coupled with this sort of plastic mesh, which you can get very cheap:

All I'd say is don't bother!  If it had been a permanent installation, I think it would have worked, though chicken wire would have been far better. As it was, it flobbled about, blew over all the time, and the birds kept escaping under it. I'd have been better off with standard electric poultry netting to be honest.

I hope that helps you avoid making the same mistake as me though!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 10:24:29 pm »
depends how permanent you want we have had good success with 6ft low viz deer netting, its easy to install on wooden posts and light wires to secure the net top and bottom.

its a lot cheaper per metre than wire netting.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 11:05:44 pm »
Not going to be that permanent - want to be able to move the pens around depending on how I'm mixing up the birds (broodies, chicks, breeding groups etc.). The Omlet netting is just a traditional net - like a fishing net or something (not sure what it's made from). The metal will just be around the outside.

I saw the plastic netting and iron spikes so did wonder - good to be able to cross it off. Plus the iron spikes don't come that cheap!

Maybe I just bite the bullet and get some more Omlet netting. It's just strange that you can see all this electric netting which is loads cheaper and includes all the power side of it - but then the gaps are too big to use it without it being switched on.

H

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 11:58:31 pm »
I have got lots of electic poultry netting really tough quality and with small mesh at the bottom .  I think it is 110 high.  Will check tomorrow and photograph.

Its in 50m rolls with a gate at one end.  Some with double spike and some with single (personally I found the single easier to use, so that is the newest, but pretty well all of it is less than a year old.

Nice dark green colour

Was about to start advertising it and was going to ask £85 but £75 if taking a few rolls.  I also have a couple of good mains energizers.

When the guy who helps round the place comes back from his hols we have to put the milking machine etc onto a pallet to go to forum member Langfould Easycare so if you are interested and he is anywhere near you let me know

To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 01:06:31 pm »
Hi,just to add I would electrify this netting as geese will tend to eat it if not and also geese and large stag turkeys keep running at it to get over it if not switched on.

Graham.
Graham.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 12:32:45 am »
Oooh, Darkbrowneggs, only just seen this. Will check out they are and let you know - definitely interested.

Graham I've got the Omlet netting up at the moment to keep the ducks and geese from the chickens and the ducks nibbled it to begin with but they've all got used to it now and it's so far undamaged. The gander did once get tangled up in it as my husband was putting him away - it's practically invisible at night - but he managed to get him out unharmed, as was the netting.

h

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS