Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: can you move broody birds ??  (Read 4917 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
can you move broody birds ??
« on: August 06, 2009, 11:12:39 pm »
Has anyone ever moved a broody duck's or hen's) nest successfully? I am tempted to try because she can't stay outside at night but I would love to give her a chance to finish the job  :-\ :&>

Tullywood Farm

Re: can you move broody birds ??
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 11:22:50 pm »
Its not an easy one to do, and cannot guarantee that it will not put her off,
or that you may lose a finger ;D ;D ;D

I have moved them in the past for safety reasons - i.e. to keep hen and eggs away from the fox.

Best to try and put a wooden box over the top of her, and slide a wooden board under her to move her to the new place - but may not work if in an uneven place.

Where is she at the moment?

Julie

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 07:23:05 am »
I moved mine to a different hutch and run.  She ran around making the most deafening noise for about 10 mins (seemed like hours!!), then sat back on her eggs and settled down.

My only experience with a broody though, so will be interested to read about others.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 09:00:40 am »
Hi I always move mine, once they have been sat tight for a couple of days, late in the evening I gently take the eggs into an egg box, pick up the broody (be prepared to be pecked!!) put the eggs down where you want them and put mum on top, then I shut her in overnight, they usually settle straight away at night, good luck :chook:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 09:04:56 pm »
do it in the dark ... cover her new broody box with a sack or something to keep it dark should be ok... never try in daylight as it often fails
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 08:35:56 pm by harry »

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 10:44:16 pm »
Well, the she is a call duck and she is nesting just outside their run (the ducks are free range during the day, at night I shut them into a hen house). I've been taking her eggs at night, but left ceramic ones in their place, so that I know where she goes as she is a good hider! I think she would go frantic if I tried to pick her up, but I will give some effort a try now, I'd love to have more of her ducklings  :&>

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 04:53:26 pm »
Best to move her somewhere secure otherwise once they hatch the magpies will take them!

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 06:14:34 pm »
Waiting to find out how ye got on

Julie ;D

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 08:38:57 pm »
i ring fenced a broody duck with a circle of wire netting about 4 foot radious with a net roof this kept her in place and kept magpies etc away, doesnt need to be a tall fence with ducks
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 08:41:11 pm by harry »

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 09:56:29 pm »
trouble is foxes here at night, don't want to tempt them. We had pheasants nesting in the garden before and they were all taken at night. My neighbour has offered me metal box thingy, which I will have a look at. Will keep you posted  :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 10:32:32 pm »
You can move her and the eggs in 5 minutes and you don't have to wait till it's dark altogether.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 11:16:16 pm »
it sounds so easy, Annie...We were out today all day and she chose to move away from her latest spot  ::) again, will have to watch her closely tomorrow (she's very good at doing the disappearing act once I turn my back) and see if she stays with her egg.  :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS