Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pole barn repair or rebuild?  (Read 9841 times)

SirDoolb

• Joined Sep 2013
  • rock of ages
Pole barn repair or rebuild?
« on: September 03, 2013, 08:55:57 am »
I'm thinking of buying some land. There is a pole barn already though it's going to fall down soon. The structural posts are wood and rotten at ground level. It's no longer upright.

Hoping that works

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/8556_624409647589663_1527954893_n.jpg

Anyway, any one have any experience of repair? Should I just salvedge all the timber that's still good. (most of it apart from the uprights) and start again?

that latter task maybe a bit beyond me as I have only my bare hands and hopefully an atv with winch, towbar. (and friends?)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Pole barn repair or rebuild?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 10:06:18 am »
Is it listed?  It certainly looks as though it's listing!  ;D

Personally I'd start again from scratch, that way you can have exactly what you want. Probably also with a kit barn in metal, rather than trying to salvage the old materials.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 11:41:59 am »
Looks like it needs stronger wooden components all round - thicker uprights (telephone poles) and bigger cross-section members.  You need to be careful how you deal with the base of the uprights too - if they just go straight into the ground they will, as you've seen, rot through.

My husband has built an open fronted implement shed totally by hand ie no power tools.  He is currently putting up a large pole barn, although this time he has made the concession of using a battery powered drill.  It is actually oversturdy to my mind as well as too large, but it shows it can be done, and by one somewhat decrepit person working on his own.  He had no special skills for building but learnt as he went along.

So for your shed, it needs to come right down (lots of good firewood there) and a new one, whether wooden construction or metal kit, put up in its place.

You will though have plenty of other things to do when you buy your new land.
For help, if you have room in the house or have a caravan available, you could get HelpXers in - look them up, it can work well.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 12:45:36 am »
There is nothing wrong with over engineering :)

Def 'listing' - lol - wouldnt take the bales out without a hard hat.

Its going to need to come down - do the 'renovation' quick - its not a rebuild!

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 12:47:24 am »
If the planners are watching the plot after neighbour  hastle then make sure you reovate walls before you remove the top structure

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 12:48:47 am »
There is no law to stop you fixing something up - but knocking it down and starting again is a dif story.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 12:50:38 am »
If its listed - forget it, they would rather see it awethentic than aid to restore it.

SirDoolb

• Joined Sep 2013
  • rock of ages
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 01:07:02 pm »
It's actually very solid and not about to fall down. The timber, apart from the uprights is all good and the felt lining under the roof is intact. There's only the damage that that picture shows, a few of the roofing plank have cracked, the rest is intact. It's not old, may even have been put up on the pee as you cant push or rock it anywhere.

I don't really need a pole barn but as it's there I thought make it last a bit longer. It might serve some future use. I'm presuming that the neighbours will be the current owners and they are just selling off some of their assets as a new right of way is being created for access.
It would be very difficult to get anything other than a small 4WD or tractor to the land, certainly not any kind of bulk carrying vehicle. I have neither 4WD or tractor. (There's no road access and I cycle along a bridle way to get there otherwise it's across fields).

I doubt that it is concreted in as the soil is heavy clay and expands and contracts massively depending on season. I'm presuming it just lilted due to ground movement. Once the ground is sodden it maybe less solid.  :raining: The ground is like concrete at the moment.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 02:33:10 pm »
I reckon the easiest would be to gently lift up the roof timbers (you may need to remove the roof cladding first) a few inches with a jack or even tele handler, temporarily holding them in place with wooden props or Acrow props. Repair, renew or refix the columns (depending on condition then let the roof timbers back onto the new columns and repair/refix timbers as you go.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 01:57:21 am »
Sounds a plan.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 03:17:10 pm »
I'd tackle it as Henchard suggests. Pull it as square as possible then Acrow prop each leg in turn and repair.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 08:33:07 pm »
If you're going to do all that and try and keep safe  ::)  you might as well take the flipping lot down, that's faaaar too much carry on.  You need the poles set in concrete with damp proofing thick plastic around the bases or set in metal shoes set in the ground / concrete.

Barns are good to have though, useful, and if you can get it down to the basic structural elements then it may be worth correcting, think I'd put something quicker to cover the roof though, wrinkley tin or the like, something inexpensive.

Definately a renew and not a refurb, salvage the materials as you go so when you feel the notion coming on you can to do some man stuff there'll be no stopping you  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 04:48:36 am »
Just my experience concreting posts in makes them sweat funny how city fencing lasts <10 years when stock fencing lasts 30 + one uses concrete one doesn't personally I would use 2 acrows jack up slightly each side of upright take out replace move on to the next SIMPLES !

SirDoolb

• Joined Sep 2013
  • rock of ages
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 06:38:20 pm »
 :wave:
I just thought I'd update on the pole barn rebuild.

hopefully the picture will upload.
so what are my options now?  :roflanim:
land still not mine btw.  :knit:

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 07:12:37 pm »
Almost an improvement  :thinking:  :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS