Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: by-product of cockerels  (Read 3999 times)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
by-product of cockerels
« on: August 28, 2013, 04:30:15 pm »
It's time for our cockerels to go as they are cockadoodling at an alarming pitch this week. They are 17 weeks now and a fair size and neighbours are starting to comment on the noise :o
So, what to do about the leftover parts once dressed  :thinking:
I have contacted The local AHVLA who say even though there are only 3 the waste is to be disposed of through the correct channels and gave me a phone number for waste collection. The problem is the company is almost an hours drive so I hate to think of the cost.

What do other backgarden keepers of poultry do? And how much is a by-product collection likely to be?

I know, I should have thought about this before hatching eggs.  Just didn't think past the kill and dress scenario  ::)

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
Re: by-product of cockerels
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 04:38:19 pm »
Wish you were nearer - I feed my dogs raw and would have made good use of the leftovers!  Is there anyone in your area who feeds raw?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 05:08:43 pm »
Boil it up for chicken soup, stick it in a bag, in the dustbin, or bury it.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 05:20:08 pm »
I should have said it's  the feathers,  and intestines  that will be left over. The rest will be used in cooking for ourselves and dogs  :yum:

taz08

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 07:26:07 pm »
incinerate them ,,

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 09:08:54 pm »
Intestines - no different than if you'd bought an unfilleted fish or whatever - that can go in the bin.
Feathers - a dead pillow, could also go in the bin.

Or as Taz says, you could burn them (not that they burn easily and feathers stink!)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 09:57:40 pm »
The Oh is in hospital and she had half a young cockeral for lunch today !
I picked up 3 unwanted cocks from someone in a carpark in town. Nice burds that are in the freezer. The waste is in the dustbin as I don't want it on my land attracting foxes and other wildlife. I just tripple bag such waste and drop it in the  landfill dustbin. We dig a hole for the pig waste but I have heard of it being given to hunting dogs.
I would treat your cockeral waste just as you would if you bought a supermarket chicken and trimmed it up and threw the waste in the dustbin.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 11:41:25 pm »
We've just changed from one of the worst areas for recycling in the country to one of the best (apparently). Anyhow, we have a food bin, a recycling bin and a waste bin (which is burnt). I was reckoning corpses (thanks cats)  would go into the food bin since most of them seemed pretty similar to the remains of carcuses we'd have cooked and eaten but according to their latest guidelines, they've said explicitly that dead animals should go in the waste bin for burning. So I guess it depends how you sort your bins but here it would go into general waste.

H

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 06:55:22 am »
We generally burn our feathered casualties but if I was doing them for the table I would be putting the remains in the bin. :chook:
In fact my 4 cockerels are also starting to be a bit noisy so I need to think about wringing necks soon, trouble is they are big birds with not a lot of meat on them yet.
Anne

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 07:57:29 am »
All our waste bits are double bagged and go into general waste/ landfill -I didn't ask, as i viewed it as any bought chicken waste (skin, bones). They are double bagged to stop maggots, as we are on two week collections.

Did consider selling the colourful feathers on ebay. At first glance there appears to be a healthy trade in feathers for fly-tying and general arts and crafts.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS