Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Think I might have made a big mistake.  (Read 2528 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Think I might have made a big mistake.
« on: August 28, 2013, 07:51:03 pm »
Our two chicks hatched yesterday, which was day 22.  I was going to leave the others for another couple of days, but tonight I got really worried about how thin my hen is, and also how she was not showing any interest in her chicks but obsessing about her eggs (not speaking to them, though, and no pipping coming from inside) so I decided to take them away.  One had never been fertile, the other two had been but were disgusting so had obviously been dead quite a while, but the other had a full size chick in it.  It did not show any sign of life at all, but I am now really worried that I am a chick murderer.  How long should I have left them in for?  And if I didn't murder it and it was just dead, is there anything I could have done to stop that happening?  It just seems such a shame when it had managed to grow to that size to lose it.  The shell seemed very thick and tough, might it have not been able to get out?

On a positive note, the two chicks we have are perfect, and my little boys are absolutely delighted with them, and my hen has even allowed them to stroke the chicks with one finger, which was really sweet.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Think I might have made a big mistake.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 08:20:17 pm »
Don't worry, we've all been there.  I always leave them at least 3 to 4 days after I expect them to hatch.  That one might have pipped and you might have had to help it, or teh hen herself might have, but who knows.  At least you've got two - what's the betting they are both cockerels!  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 08:22:07 pm »
I'll second that!
All been there....
And the two you have will be lovely I'm sure :0
Little Blue

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 12:37:49 am »
I left my lot ( first ever hatch ) a week extra just in case  :fc:  same sort of result as you had. A couple infertile, a few deaths early and a few fully formed. Guess it's nature. I incubated and wondered if I'd had a broody if it would have been different but after reading this post I'm guessing nature decides regardless of our input.
Enjoy your hatchlings, they grow up so so quickly  :sunshine:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 08:02:39 am »
The egg should have pipped by then Mowhaugh, or the chick would certainly have been moving. They can die at that stage if the air sac is too small and they can't manouvre to pip. Think the important think was to get the hen focussed on the chicks that had hatched, as they urgently needed her attention. Usually the mother would abandon the remaining eggs at that stage.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 08:11:37 am »
You can get 'dead in shell' right up to the point of hatching. If they'd been healthy and going to hatch they'd have pipped. Don't worry about it  :-*

Enjoy the chicks - fingers crossed they're pullets  :)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 10:25:29 am »
Thanks, everyone, that is very reassuring.  I feel much better about it this morning, as she is up off ner nest, eating and drinking properly and organising her chicks.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 10:28:58 am »
Thanks, everyone, that is very reassuring.  I feel much better about it this morning, as she is up off ner nest, eating and drinking properly and organising her chicks.

It's lovely to watch them mothering chicks  :)

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 10:49:10 am »
We've just had our first 6 hatch (out of 7) and Mum is doing a wonderful job. I was tempted to see what happened to the 7th egg but all my books and friends told me to resist the temptation as it could be upsetting obviously.

Just put it down to Mother Nature - she who we can't control but must respect.

I'm sure your Mummy Hen is loving her chicks now!

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS