Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bank Holiday flystrike?  (Read 14651 times)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Bank Holiday flystrike?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2013, 04:54:29 pm »
Thanks Ssd and Bb. He is gradually getting better. :fc: 

The vet prescribed antibiotic and painkilling injections and advised me to to keep clipping around the affected area. I thought I had done a pretty good job already but when I had a second go I found masses more wet wool with dead maggots in it. I ended up clipping half his back and quite a bit of one flank. Luckily none of the maggots had burrowed into the skin. I sprayed the whole area with iodine to help dry it out and deter any more wriggly things. Poor lamb looks a real mess now and is avoiding me like the plague!

Stanlamb

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2013, 09:45:25 pm »
Sounds like you're getting there Possum.  Dead maggots better than live!

My wee lamb is coming slowly.  Saw the vet and got an antibiotic which she's getting daily, also dosed her with Levafas Diamond (thank you Sally) and had the dubious pleasure of washing her very dirty rear end.  Today she's bright as a button and there's no fresh scour since yesterday which is brilliant.  Will keep her in for another couple of days to finish the AB and then she can go back our with her pals.  Thanks for all the advice folks.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2013, 03:41:15 pm »
If we encounter flystrike I get out the clippers and shear a big circle around the area, moving inwards like a Swiss roll.  By the time I get to the maggots there's nowhere for them to hide.  I use an old 1 litre washing up liquid bottle with a centimetre of Jeyes fluid in the bottom and filled up with water.  Even at this dilution it's enough to irritate the maggots sufficiently to make them leave the skin.  Any stronger and it's extremely irritating to broken skin.  If your sheep is still nabbing at any part of its body, making sudden small moves, tossing its head, grinding its teeth or unable to settle and graze - you've missed some.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS