Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bank Holiday flystrike?  (Read 14616 times)

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
Re: Bank Holiday flystrike?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 03:58:01 pm »
Stanlamb

Yes to an antibiotic, but also some s/b spray on any open wounds as well.  Maggots give of toxins and the open wounds are a risk.

Sounds like you need to get to route of scouring. May need a second dose of vecoxan if its cocci. You have dosed with cydectin twice, I'd try another chemical group wormer. If its flock wide consider getting a sample/worm test checked at your vets to see what's going on. I'm not sure cydectin does nemotardis(?spelling) - usually group 1/ white wormer for lambs.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Stanlamb

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 04:04:45 pm »
 Thanks for such a quick response Smudger.  Just one lamb effected.  Will def give AB in the morning and will pop into Vet first for another dose of Vecoxam and an alternative wormer.  Absolutely agree need to get I'd of scour but have been stumped!

Stanlamb

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 04:07:30 pm »
Possum, shall try washing her.  Yuck but maybe necessary.  Had a look at anus and there were none surrounding it.  I didn't look inside though.  Think I've a fun morning to look forward to tomorrow!  ::)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 04:12:03 pm »
we had a few patches under sheepy armpits last time too, had to turn him to find those. Also check feet!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 04:33:35 pm »
Stanlamb - you have my sympathy. Although he looked so much better afterwards that I was really glad that I had done it. Surprisingly it didn't smell at all. Apart from the all-pervading perfume of high strength Dettol!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 05:49:50 pm »
Stanlamb - you haven't given any flukicide, are you sure this lamb doesn't have fluke?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Stanlamb

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 07:03:44 pm »
Hi Sally ... I haven't and I'm not but when I discussed her with the vet in June/July, he said you wouldn't see fluke in lambs before autumn.  I can add Levafas Diamond or (have another, can't recall which) to her list of medicines for tomorrow though.  Big guns in!  Thank you. :-)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 07:13:58 pm »
I don't know where you are, but this is from the current NADIS Parasite Forecast:
August to October 2012 was very wet across much of the UK, allowing many snails to be infected late in the year. These overwintering infected snails can release infection when temperatures are high enough (often from late April or May) producing acute infections in the following weeks.

Previous studies have shown that most snails carrying fluke infection over the winter will have died by the end of June. Above-average rainfall across the UK in May (although not June) will have allowed release of some of this infection, and there have indeed been reports of acute infection in lambs this June/July.

We have had a low level of fluke in our lambs this year - 2 or 3 affected in batches of 15 to 22 lambs, whereas last year we had fluke in 26 of 29 lambs in August.  (We get these reports from the abbatoir, and they are invaluable.)

Shitty bum that won't dry up when wormed smacks of possible fluke to me.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 07:26:18 pm »
Hopefully this will be the last query. :fc:

We caught the lamb this evening , trimmed the remaining grubby wool and applied the Crovect. Lots of maggots started wriggling out!(I think we need an emoticon for Yuk!)

Unfortunately we also found a raw area on his rump with maggots coming out of it. Cut the surrounding wool really short, applied a bit more Crovect  near to the raw area and applied Sudocreme. Have left lamb in a pen and he seems reasonably happy. Will phone the vet tomorrow about antibiotics.

Is there anything else I should do this evening??

smallflockshearing

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 08:24:28 pm »
Hi Possum,  I think you have pretty much done all you can today!  Best of luck - you have caught it and are treating it, so he should get through it ok.  Get some sleep after your relaxing bank holiday...
Carefully shearing small flocks throughout the South-West.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2013, 09:14:03 pm »
Ohhh, thank you so much Sfs.

I do feel pretty tired. It's the first time that I have had to deal with this and the worry is almost more exhausting than all the running around. Not to mention all the bending over once you have up-ended a sheep and are trimming, washing and spraying.

I'm sure that i will get a good night's sleep now that I know that there is nothing more to do for the moment. :)

Shenleysouthdown

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Shenley, Hertfordshire
  • Small Southdown Flock
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2013, 10:44:37 pm »
I think the last week has been particularly bad for flies. We have found lots of eggs on many of our lambs, but none have hatched into maggots - so Clik must be working. We Cliked them way back in June but it is obviously lasting the 16 weeks. We are getting the lambs sheared on Friday, so that should help too as their fleeces are quite thick. The ewes we sheared & Cliked in June have no sign of eggs, flies etc.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2013, 09:10:00 am »
Yes, I think I will use Click next year. Crovect was fine last year but in hot summers like this one something that is longer lasting is definitely better. Don't want to go through this again!

Shenleysouthdown

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Shenley, Hertfordshire
  • Small Southdown Flock
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2013, 09:18:59 am »
I think that would be a good move - Clik has certainly worked well for us this year. We have seen loads of eggs, but non develope into maggots! The fact that it works out cheaper as it last 16 weeks & that we only have to treat the sheep once - sells it for me. Also, it works in a different way to Crovect. Crovect only protects the areas it is sprayed on, but Clik is absorbed through the wool & skin & moves over the whole body.

We did use Crovect pre shearing, but had a few with fly strike, so I think, although it is a very good product, the protection isn't quite as good.

I hope your sheep are doing ok now. Fly strike is a very nasty thing to deal with - for both you & the sheep.

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2013, 09:59:17 am »
It was our first time too this year but we kept on clipping the wool right back (with a pair of freaking dog grooming scissors!!!) Until we were sure we got all the buggers.  We also cut out all the eggs. If there are still flies buzzing round (or even a fly) you may not have got all the patches.  Hubby wrestled sheepy to the floor and I sat on him to give him a thorough going over.  Washed wounds with salt water and iodine then summer fly cream. A purple and yellow sheep :). We did have to squeeze a bit of pus out of a couple of wounds when they started to heal but repeated the process and all is good.  They are going Tuesday - now they don't look like we've been stubbing cigarettes out on their legs!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS