Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bank Holiday flystrike?  (Read 14573 times)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Bank Holiday flystrike?
« on: August 25, 2013, 06:48:54 pm »
One of my 6 month old ram lambs has had a bit of scouring over the last two days. It seems to have stopped now ( :fc: ) but I thought I would dag him anyway as he was being bothered by flies. Unfortunately I found some maggots in some of the faeces on the wool. I have looked carefully but can't see any signs of maggots in the skin although he has a small area of bare rough skin on his chest. I think he has been rubbing it for some reason.

I want to treat with Crovect as he is still being bothered by flies. Unfortunately I don't have any left and can't get any until Tuesday. Is there anything that I can use (apart from flyspray!) to keep the flies off him until then?

novicesmallholder

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Worcestershire
Re: Bank Holiday flystrike?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 06:57:31 pm »
When we had a ewe lamb with pretty bad fly strike, vet advised crovex, antibiotic, wormer and Jeyes Fluid neat on the skin

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 07:15:27 pm »
Possum - do you have any battles maggot oil until you can get hold of crovect on tuesday? I got caught out and used it, it did help the lamb.   Other thing we were told was dettol fluid which may hold you out till you can get the proper stuff
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 07:17:42 pm »
Our friends (organic) always use tea tree oil.  Or you could try a citronella spray.  Poor boy :(

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 07:29:27 pm »
I was always told to use jeyes fluid but I was told to water it down if its on open skin

smallflockshearing

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 08:27:47 pm »
Check his anus carefully if you haven't done so!  Good hidey-hole for small demons...  If he's clear and you've already dagged him, and he's been sheared this year, smear some vaseline thickly on his rough patch (prevents potential maggots from breathing and thus growing), and leave him until Tuesday.  If he's got a thick fleece...  cross your fingers and get him sheared as soon as possible.
Carefully shearing small flocks throughout the South-West.

smallflockshearing

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 08:29:09 pm »
ah - lamb - shouldn't really have a thick fleece!

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 08:45:30 pm »
we had same problem i sprayed our girl with abit of antisepthic cream them smothered the wounds and around them with vasaline she healing up very nicely after being sprayed then with crovect(Yet again although used the spot on one last time and didnt seem to work but the crovect has).
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 10:01:33 pm »
Thanks everyone,

As usual, some very helpful advice. :)

I have given the grubby wool on his back end and abdomen a good wash down with Dettol soution. Then dried it off with an old towel. Have put tea tree oil ointment on the rough skin on his chest. Didn't have a chance to look at his anus before it got dark, but will do so tomorrow. However, he was sitting down very determinedly this evening, so there might be a problem in that area. Unfortunately i don't have Battles maggot oil, so that isn't an option.

He didn't come to the feed bucket this evening, was looking rather sorry for himself and was still being bothered by flies. However, he did eat the sheep nuts when I put them in front of him.

Smallflockshearing - he is a suffolk down x norfolk horn so does have a thick fleece despite his young age. I have had a good rootle around in his fleece this evening and can't see any maggots so am hoping for he best.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 10:10:02 pm »
Flies seem to be particularly bad at the moment. Fund two of my ewe lambs scratching, caught them and maggots were just hatching out and zillions of eggs laid. But both times on their back and completely clean. Clipped away generous area and sprayed with Terramycin and crovect. Seem happy today and no more signs on others. Hope the humidity drops soon

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 09:02:06 am »
Well, he's a bit better today. Came to the bucket when called (he doesn't normally get fed in the morning). Still being bothered by flies and trying to nibble his back end, so still a problem. I will give him another wash down with Dettol and hope for the best. I will be on the doorstep of Mole Valley Farmers at 8am tomorrow!

smallflockshearing

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 09:33:42 am »
Sounds like the problem may be the rear end - be sure to check that anus, smear with vaseline if erupting.  24 hours can be a long time in maggotsville.  Check the fleece down to the roots thoroughly,looking for any discolouration, especially from the skull down the backbone to the tail, and get him sheared soon if in any doubt.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 11:56:30 am »
Posted seperately about my own flystrikes woes.  Any chance you could knock on a farmer neighbour's door for a cup of crovect and decant into a sprayer?

We removed all visible maggots ad clipped off half his fleece, a good way into 'clean' wool. I couldn't believe my eyes when we applied crovect to the attacked areas - the maggots literally popped out of the poor lambs skin in their hundreds. Your sheep may also have them buried in its flesh as well.

I know there have been posts about crovect's efficacy at preventing strike, but I wouldn't be without some for treating it if you are unlucky enough  to get it.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Stanlamb

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 03:30:52 pm »
I've a small ewe lamb really bad with fly strike and scour.  She was injected with Cydectin mid-April and then done again mid July with Cydectin oral and also Vecoxam.  Maggots galore.  Didn't have Crovect so did her with diluted Jeyes fluid.  Still not clear so Crovect today.  I really don't know where to go with her now.  She has certainly lost condition but is grazing and drinking.  The scour is a huge problem - was going to inject her with Cydectin again tomorrow.  Reading this, maybe some LA Alamycin too?  Should I clip her?  Tried to dag her rear end this morning but she is so dirty tht it's nearly mission impossible.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 03:55:06 pm »
I found that washing the rear end with copious amount of warm diuted Dettol got rid of the worst of the soiling, then I could see what I was doing with the dagging shears. Pinned the lamb against a hurdle for most of it then up ended him to do the underneath parts. Masses of maggots came out of the wool. Diluted Jeyes fluid would probably be just as good.

Smallflockshearing was right about checking the anus. Although there were no maggots inside the anus, there were masses immediately around it. (What a lovely conversation for a sunny Bank Holiday!)

I managed to get some Crovect at lunchtime but the affected lamb is sufficiently better that I can't catch him to apply it!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS