Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Estell is not eating  (Read 17877 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Estell is not eating
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 07:22:31 pm »
My experience is that sheep or goats will eat a couple of strands of ivy (no more) when they won't eat anything else. And getting them eating again is critical.

Cream crackers, digestive biscuits......l

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 09:13:04 pm »
no luck with the apple/carrots. and she didn't try the ewe nuts today.

she does drink the rumen stimulant (smells a bit appley). once the syring is in her mouth she seems to suck on it quite happyly. I'll keep going with that tomorrow and try to persuade her to eat a bit of something (i've got cream crackers - i'll give 'em a go).

still nothing from the rear end though, and she still spends a lot of time standing rather than sitting/lying, even though she's moving around more.

(thanks to everyone for the help BTW)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 11:59:52 pm »
Is her rumen working?  Can you see the rumen wave and hear her belch?

If not, is it worth doing the live yoghurt, oil, ginger & bicarb thing?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 12:08:44 am »
Fingers crossed she improves and you witness some 'functions'. So hard watching and waiting.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 12:50:43 am »
Is her rumen working?  Can you see the rumen wave and hear her belch?

If not, is it worth doing the live yoghurt, oil, ginger & bicarb thing?

I don't know TBH - she breaths quite heavily (not unusual in warm weather but she is breathing heavier than I would consider normal ATM), and I don't know what the rumen wave looks like (pause for a quick google). not much the wiser - So should she belch at a regular interval?

i did hear what seemed to be a belch shortly after one of my rumen-stimulant squirts. I'm planning to continue with the RS but I'd like to know more about the live yoghurt' thing - I assume it's a diy version of the RS?

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 10:02:14 am »

update,

well I got her to eat about 1/5 of a cream cracker, and a tiny sliver of apple this am along with some more RS, but didn't witness any belches or other bodily functions except breathing  :-\  . Have watched the other (happy) ewe but couldn't see much through her breathing (& trying to get her chin rubbed) so am still not sure what a rumen wave might look like.

she's still on her feet (only rarely sitting - last observed sitting 12.30 am) & starting to look a little hollow around the kidneys.

temperature still seems normal, but her nose seems a bit drippy this morning.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 10:16:59 am »
Marcus,
When I am petting mine they often belch, although not always audible, but I do get a wiff of chewed grass like old cabbages, I guess thats their rumen working. Do you get anything like that?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 10:17:46 am »
Do you have any molasses or treacle?  If so it would be worth dribbling a bit over some ewe nuts (or anything else, biscuits etc) and see if she will eat those.  Often the sweet taste will encourage them to eat it.  Also the sugar will provide energy.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 10:32:51 am »
no i didn't get anything like a belch from her this morning  -  but I'll keep listening.

I did get a mollasses lick for her day before yesterday which she did lick a little. But I'll try using treacle on some ewe nuts, crackers, etc (why didn't I think of that  ::)  ), as she's only eating bits ATM when i put them in her mouth.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 10:38:57 am »
Have you got some twin lamb drench or similar? It does provide energy and may just get her some appetite again if there are no other signs of illness. If she doesn't get anything into her she will keel over very soon.

When my goats get fussy about their concentrate I drench quickly with Ceto-phyton, just so they don't get into the ketosis state, and also always inject with combivit or similar. Has worked well.

How old is your girl? If she hasn't lambed recently and is older it may just be her time...

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2013, 11:32:51 am »

Hi mab  :wave:

poor Estell  :sheep:

It looks as though you have tried everything, I would offer her a few lose minerals - poorly sheep seek out natural substances to make themselves better.

-and how about getting hands on ,by giving her tummy a firm massage, animals often will "push back into pain" you may release some blockages that way!

hope she improves
Tilly

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2013, 12:09:29 pm »
no twin lamb drench - not had lambs for 2-3 years and no combivit either. Only thing I've got is tetroxyLA 200mg/ml oxytetracyclene, unused, which expired oct last year, which if I remember rightly is an injectable antibiotic.

she's not terribly old - 6, 7, maybe 8ish, I think. Didn't get a clear idea of her age when I got her.

I will try the massage - see how she responds - another good idea  :thumbsup:  [size=78%].[/size]

I've actually let her out as she was showing signs of wanting to leave her pen, so she's gone out into the field with Elfie (gave me a bit of a scare as when I came out to check on her 10mins later, I found her laying down, head down in the grass, but she was just catching some Zz's - shes standing again now).

I'll catch her again in an hour and see if she'll nibble something.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2013, 12:34:38 pm »
Ruminants should have a regular action of the rumen erupting some gases.  It's normally about every 30 seconds and usually results in a belch as Sally Bionic describes.  In a short-coated animal you can see the muscular wave crossing the flanks; with a long-coated animal you should be able to feel it if you put your hand on their flanks behind the ribs.  (Try it with a healthy individual first so you know what it should feel like.)

As to the yoghurt / oil / ginger / bicarb bloat remedy, it's a tried and trusted remedy for bloat in sheep, goats and cattle - see Toffee's story - but I can't see any reason to not try it when the rumen has stopped working for reasons other than bloat.  You maybe don't need the oil if you aren't trying to control excess gas (which is what bloat is), but it won't do any harm.  The yoghurt, ginger and bicarb should kick-start the rumen, hopefully  :fc:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2013, 01:03:56 pm »
Having quickly read Toffee's story: I've got everything except the yoghurt; maybe can get some tonight/tomorrw - and poss some twinlamb drench if farm supplies place is open tomorrow (need to stay in ATM - awaiting a delivery)

treacle, crackers, ginger, bicarb - what next? curry powder and coriander? Maybe I should just bring her into the kitchen and open the cupboards  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2013, 01:17:44 pm »
treacle, crackers, ginger, bicarb - what next? curry powder and coriander? Maybe I should just bring her into the kitchen and open the cupboards  ;D

Not such a daft idea - they generally know what they need!  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS