Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Estell is not eating  (Read 17873 times)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Estell is not eating
« on: August 21, 2013, 07:45:26 pm »
hello everyone,

one of my two shetlands has stopped eating; I noticed yesterday that she seemed to be sitting down a lot and not chewing cud or eating, then yesterday eve when I came out with the usual small amount of ewe-nuts she only ate a little and then stood with a 'look' which, on the dog, I would have interpreted as the 'I want to throw up' face. Otherwise she looks OK - no scouring, no sign of flystike, etc, just not eating.

this morning she was just standing and not eating - sometimes moving a short distance - didn't sit down once all morning - Time to talk to the vet (midmorning); well he gave me a couple of injections for her (metacam), one for today and one for Saturday.

didn't look good when i came back with the meds - she just stood there and let me approach and give her the injection - not at all her usual flighty self. But having done that she has perked up a bit and is moving about a bit more and sitting down again.

Once she'd perked up I looked at her teeth as per vets instructions (which was not so easy as she'd started moving away from me again) - can't see anything wrong and doesn't react when prodding her cheeks - so am not sure if vet is right with his teeth problem theory.

other factors to consider: she had access to some oak logs which might have had 'young' acorns on them yesterday/ day before - but that might be a red-herring. I did find in the shelter a 'grassy' lump that looked as though it might've been regurgitated - it smelled of sheep pee - though it may just have been pee'd on.

any suggestions?

oh, I picked up a sachet of 'rumen stimulant' but I don't think she's going to take it voluntarily - any advice on 'drenching' (I've never done this before - though I've just looked at a couple of u-toob vids, they're not filling me with confidence)?

thx

marcus

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Estell is not eating
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 08:32:09 pm »
Could be anything ??? every one should buy a simple digital thermometer, if your sheep has a fever then it may need  antibiotics or if sub normal, all  information for a vet . Dosing is easy so don't panic a gun or narrow necked bottle or  the syringe from a lamb stomach tube will work , into the side of the mouth on top of the tongue and pour or squeeze slowly so she has time to swollow , if she starts coughing stop give her time and then begin again

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:39:21 pm »
Agree that a plastic syringe is the easiest way to drench if you don't have a drenching gun.  Get someone to hold her for you or tie her up with a halter so you have both hands free - one to hold her head and the other to insert the syringe to her mouth. Hope she picks up soon  :hshoe:

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 09:02:19 pm »
Thanks for that; got the syring - i'll give it a try. I have managed to get her to eat a tiny amount of the powder mixed with a little ewe-nut-dust.

she does seem a bit more perky again but wondering how much of that is the short-term effect of the jab.

:fc:

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 09:22:56 pm »
Have you weaned lambs off her recently-mastitis?
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 09:24:58 pm »
Metacam is a pain killer and anti inflamatory , so you may be right ,time will tell

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 09:47:01 pm »
I would have given her a vitB injection (like Combivit) - it acts as a stimulant for appetite and would safeguard against possible CCN (although if she had that she would be dead by now). You can get Combivit from the merchants, about 5ml into the muscle.

It has worked very well for me this summer with a couple of goats (milkers) that stopped eating their concentrate.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 10:07:28 pm »
I'm betting 'gut-rot' from the acorns.

Is she bloated?

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 10:16:12 pm »
We had a lamb off colour a few weeks ago. Just not eating. It took 2 lots of antibiotic injections before it picked up. Fine now.
I had rumen stimulant which I fed with a syringe. You need to make sure it has fluids.

My sheep  book suggests ivy or willow as an appetite stimulant.
Good luck
Joanne xxxxx

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 10:23:34 pm »
Have you weaned lambs off her recently-mastitis?

no, it's a couple of years since her last lamb - she has a lump in her udder from then so I don't breed from her.

I'm betting 'gut-rot' from the acorns.

Is she bloated?

That is my guess - she doesn't really look bigger than normal, but considering she probably hasn't eaten in 24hrs +, I'd expect her to look thinner. It would also explain her reluctance to sit down (although, I would've expected scouring). I should add that she has a history of eating fallen acorns (though never enough to make her ill), but when I let her near the logs I didn't think about acorns - didn't see any - and just supposed she was after the green ivy (I was focused on clearing the road where the oak had fallen) - now feeling like a bit of an eejit  :(  .

Oh, JMB, you posed whilst I was typing!

We had a lamb off colour a few weeks ago. Just not eating. It took 2 lots of antibiotic injections before it picked up. Fine now.
I had rumen stimulant which I fed with a syringe. You need to make sure it has fluids.

My sheep  book suggests ivy or willow as an appetite stimulant.
Good luck
Joanne xxxxx

I have seen her standing over the water bucket several times today, and with drips on her chin, so I think she is drinking. I'll offer her some ivy &willow tomorrow (oak free).

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 10:10:43 am »
Well she's a bit more perky today - so much so I can't get hold of her  ;D  - but I'm still not seeing her eating, and she's still standing around a lot.

I did wonder about vitamin jabs /antibiotics but thought the vets would've suggested them if appropriate - am wondering if this vet is on the ball or waiting for me to bring the sheep in for a consultation fee (though, to be fair, they may not be able to advise more without seeing the sheep themselves)

Well I'll try & corral her again in an hour to give her more rumen stimulant.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 10:33:22 am »
If you get her in, check her temperature.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 11:36:12 am »
I had my digital probe thermometer handy earlier - but didn't get hold of her.

trouble is my usual method of confining them is to entice them in with ewe-nuts; but it doesn't work as well when they're off their food  ::)  ....

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 02:47:51 pm »
At last! (she's moving faster than earlier, but managed to corner her)

temp 39°C which I think is normal? (my sheep deseases book doesn't give a temp for adult sheep - only lambs).

ivy / willow (and ewe nuts) not enticing her - is it worth trying apple/ carrot?

Shenleysouthdown

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Shenley, Hertfordshire
  • Small Southdown Flock
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 06:49:41 pm »
Try an apple - my sheep love apples. Hope she gets better soon :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS