Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do you prepare for slaughter?  (Read 12053 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: How do you prepare for slaughter?
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2013, 09:50:39 pm »
Slow-braised goat's leg in cider sounds interesting. My goat meat is a bit tough so needs slow cooking. Trouble is, most of the joints are too big to go in my slow cooker.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2013, 09:56:53 pm »
I think this is a really brave and honest decision Lisa. So much better than letting him to to an uncertain and possibly unkind life. Good for you  :thumbsup:

To be absolutely honest, I have always sold my goats' meat (and plenty of people want it) - I can't eat it myself. They're different from the lambs, fewer of them, they come in every night.....Might be soppy but there it is.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2013, 09:53:51 am »
I'm happy to eat any goat...but not this one  ;D  I've already broken a badly made promise to MIlli (ie. no we won't sell him, we'll keep him as a pet and no, he won't go for meat) I owe it to her that we don't then bring him back in plastic bags!
I've never forgiven my parents for telling me that my German Shepherd, Kimber, was going for a walk with a man when I was 4. I sat by the front door for hours waiting for him to come back. He'd been rehomed and what I didn't know what he'd gone to be a guard dog because he was showing signs of being a bit 'nasty'. They tried to do the right thing by me but I believe in honesty and truth from the first age a child can comprehend, even if its not as detailed as an adult can understand.
Keep the recipes coming  ;)
The girls ate loads of goat sausages at the weekend, even the tiny one who's 6 and had said "eww I'm not eating goat..." she demolished a load and loved them!
I hate seeing him on that tether out there, the date for the abbatoir just can't come soon enough - for his benefit as its not nice being tied within a 20ft radius while your herd can free range, is it.

It is quick though isnt it? every time I try to do online research to put my mind at rest I see all the hard core vegan websites saying how awful abbatoirs are with graphic pics. that's not helping but I don't believe they are true in the UK either.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2013, 11:26:02 am »

It is quick though isnt it? every time I try to do online research to put my mind at rest I see all the hard core vegan websites saying how awful abbatoirs are with graphic pics. that's not helping but I don't believe they are true in the UK either.
[/quote]

yes its quick.

i am always surprised at how well our 7 year old grandson takes it when we take animals in. he was more upset when we sold a breeding sow on to a new home than when we take them for sausages. its good for children to understand where there food comes from. if we take any in during school holidays he will come along for the ride and help to unload.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2013, 12:09:44 pm »
Slow-braised goat's leg in cider sounds interesting. My goat meat is a bit tough so needs slow cooking. Trouble is, most of the joints are too big to go in my slow cooker.

I do mine in a large deep roasting tin and have a loose double cover (tightly bent round the edges of the tin) of tin foil acting as a lid for all my roasts - even the pork ones. Just makes sure that the meat (always in a good sized puddle of wine or cider) stays moist and if I want crackling from pork I normally cut the skin off and wack the oven as high as possible and put the skin back in on its own for about 10 mins at the end (and always in the process activate the smoke detector - it can't be overrriden as we have a fairly new built house...)

As for low temperatures, I do have low oven in my cooker, but you could just use 120 deg instead of the usual 160 and leave it in for as long as want. Mine are in at least 3 hours.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2013, 11:04:54 pm »
Thanks, Anke. I need to buy some cider.

Lisa, it is a quick process but tbh I think you are best not looking too deeply into what happens. I knew someone who always stayed with her goats until they were stunned (probably not allowed these days) but I couldn't do that.

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2013, 11:20:21 pm »
I've never forgiven my parents for telling me that my German Shepherd, Kimber, was going for a walk with a man when I was 4. I sat by the front door for hours waiting for him to come back. He'd been rehomed and what I didn't know what he'd gone to be a guard dog because he was showing signs of being a bit 'nasty'. They tried to do the right thing by me but I believe in honesty and truth from the first age a child can comprehend,

That sent a chill down my spine Lisa.  I totally agree that honesty is the best policy, I only give information as it is asked for and in a bite size piece.  My 3.5 year old was asking about leather, and I told her it was skin from the animals who had been turned into meat.  She was happy with that and needed no more info.

I am sure 'it' is quick.  I remember I was so upset about our weaners going last year I had planned to give them beer to relax them!  I didn't in the end and the meat was delicious so I figure they had a stress-free end.  I actually think the trust they animals have in humans makes for a much less stressful end, as they have nothing to fear; unlike those animals who have very little human contact.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2013, 09:44:45 am »
In a handful of words Bumble bear, you have managed to reassure me so much. I hadn't thought of it that way - in that he's used to humans so it will be easier for him. Although we had sheep go from here (that we had helped bottle raise) this is the first time its one of our own completely so please excuse me being a bit soft  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2013, 09:33:16 pm »
Fairly sure the time is coming soon, or may have already passed but just to send a hug  :hug:

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2013, 02:40:54 pm »
how has it all gone plums?  :hug:

I've got a kid needing to go for slaughter in 6 months or so and I'm dreading it already as he has melted my heart despite my best efforts at not getting attached  :(
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS