Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do you prepare for slaughter?  (Read 12052 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
How do you prepare for slaughter?
« on: August 19, 2013, 06:54:36 pm »
As the title says really. How do you prepare both your goats and yourself in the run up to that final trip? Not done this before so any advice gratefully received  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: How do you prepare for slaughter?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:40:46 pm »
Something I would be interested in preparing myself for aswell.
This will be the first year for us and we have 3 some to go later in the year,   :-\
Graham

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 07:52:17 pm »
take a drive to the slaughterhouse you intend to use explain its your first time and ask for a look around. book a date so you have a target to work to. (we do this if we are using a new place just to get a feel of the place).

you will need to make sure you have the correct paper work, ears tags etc. plait baler twine to make a collar that is left on so we are not faffing about removing collars.

its hard for me to give advise as i was brought up taking animals in so its all pretty normal if you get what i mean.

you have  to think forward to all the lovely meals the animals will provide you in the knowledge they have been well cared for during their lives.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 08:15:50 pm »
Ours will be going to the same place that we take both the pigs and the lambs, its just up until last year we have never had meat goats
Graham

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 08:21:54 pm »
Ours will be going to the same place that we take both the pigs and the lambs, its just up until last year we have never had meat goats

one problem some people come across is not all slaughter houses kill goats out of the 3 we use 2 will kill them.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 08:25:08 pm »
Do you find it easier (for want of a better word) taking a few as opposed to a single one?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 08:32:28 pm »
very rare 1 of any animal goes in on its own i think its better for them, less stressful.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 08:46:55 pm »
Definitely do a trial run and when there ask how you have to take in the goats - the backing-up bit is the worst bit as invariably there are big burly farmers behind you in the queue watching!

A good slaughter house will show you what happens from drop-off all the way - and where the goats are kept should look just like pens in a farm

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 09:12:37 pm »
Thank you for the replies  :)  He will be going in with other goats so not alone, love the bailer twine collar tip. Trying to spoil him a bit before he goes in - digestives and rose leaves  :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 09:20:32 pm »
Goats are not too difficult to unload, as they will happily (sorry for using that word) jump out from the trailer/van and walk in with you leading them.

I have to say that I have absolutely no problem taking in sheep or pigs, but chicken out with goats every time and get the OH to do it... maybe if you had someone else to come with you at least (to drive home for when you will be upset) it would be less stressful for you.

but I have no problems in cutting up the carcass, we have done ours now a few times.

Best to ask if they do goats regularly and maybe bring him on a day when there are lots of other goats about.

Also have your butcher sorted (for him to collect the carcass and cut up as you want it), so you only have to pick up ready packed stuff. - Burgers are good and lots of cubed meat for curries and other slow stews.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 09:45:15 pm »
They do goats regularly which is good then. He is being taken by someone else for me (can't do it) I will be here to console the kids (human ones).   
Wasnt' the plan when he was born but circumstances have changed and I would rather guarantee the certainty of what happens that to have to hope for the best if he was rehomed. As a wether goat, chances are he would end up as meat somewhere along the line, this way I'm in control that its as humane as possible. I hope this makes sense?
I think though that this means I can start to produce our own meat which up till now I've not felt confident to do. Lets see how this one goes.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 09:53:48 pm »
Good luck with it,  the first time is worst.  It's not got any nicer but  definately not as upsetting as the first pigs a couple of years ago.  And as you say it's better to be in control of the whole process than rehome and not know.

Just wait for your first fully home produced sunday dinner, nothing tastes better.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 10:10:46 pm »
They do goats regularly which is good then. He is being taken by someone else for me (can't do it) I will be here to console the kids (human ones).   
Wasnt' the plan when he was born but circumstances have changed and I would rather guarantee the certainty of what happens that to have to hope for the best if he was rehomed. As a wether goat, chances are he would end up as meat somewhere along the line, this way I'm in control that its as humane as possible. I hope this makes sense?
I think though that this means I can start to produce our own meat which up till now I've not felt confident to do. Lets see how this one goes.

Much harder with goats than with sheep, but at the end of the day the meat will be superb, you should also have quite a bit of fat/lard to render for great soap (not sure you can sell it, but great soap nonetheless).

Abattoir will prefer to have an empty stomach, so I don't feed any of mine the morning of the journey, no hay overnight, but water of course.

Lets hope it will all go well - have the meat hanging for two weeks.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 10:53:17 pm »
Lisa, I feel for you. :hug:  I know how hard it was to let Curry go. In fact, if I hadn't had a very kind person to take him for me, I think I might have chickened out. If your lad is more than a year old, like Curry was, he will probably need slow cooking.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 11:27:54 pm »
poor you, its difficult, but a huge step to star producing your own meat, well done. have you eaten your sheep before or is this the first one?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS