Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any tricks to knowing the weight off a lamb?  (Read 2349 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Any tricks to knowing the weight off a lamb?
« on: August 09, 2013, 06:44:26 pm »
Got 2 lambs I'm not sure are ready ive got another 2 which are overfat but there going anyway. I know with pigs you can measure certain areas to get a rough idea

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: Any tricks to knowing the weight off a lamb?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 08:55:02 pm »
There are lots of diagrams and details on how to condition score a lamb if you Google it.  You feel for ribs and spinal processes and tails but easier for you to look for yourself as some sites seem to be as clear as mud to me!

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 09:02:06 pm »
I think with estimating lamb weights, you just need loads of practice, which is easier said than done if you don't have access to loads of lambs.  When you are planning to produce for a specific market, you would be looking to breed a particular size and frame etc. to give you a say, for example, 40kg lamb, but when you are talking about a small amount of lambs you already have, their body condition will be a much better guide than their actual weight, as this doesn't take into consideration their skeletal size (if only  was 7ft tall, I'd be so slim!).  Again, this does take a bit of practise to assess, the main points to feel being over the shoulder, loin, and top of tail.

If this works, there should be a link below to a document which I think is quite helpful:

http://www.scottishsheepstrategy.org.uk/sitev2/pdfs/ccase.pdf

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 10:44:44 pm »
Oooh! That's a useful one!

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 06:39:22 pm »
If you can find someone strong enough to pick them up, get them to do so and stand on some bathroom scales. Subtract  their weight and voila, you have the weight of the lamb.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS