Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Clik fails... warning  (Read 6682 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Clik fails... warning
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 03:52:08 pm »
Bumblebear, how long is the fleece on those that have got it?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 04:36:29 pm »
we had one go down with it 2 today and just happened to be the hairier ewe lamb they was spot on'd about amonth ago had to shear the hair of back end so could get to wound have scrubbed it clean with bit of hibi scrub and also sprayed with iodine, will have to watch all others now to did clip all lambs bums when ewes was sheared to try and reduce the chance of it happening.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 06:47:26 pm »
They were this years lambs so not overly wooly I don't think.  I could cut it with scissors anyway,well I had to!

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 10:59:48 pm »
ours was one of this years lambs to but the woolier one of the ten sheared most of wool of but she was wringling alot so clipped what needed and treated it.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 08:31:33 am »
Crovevct has worked for me ok, but using the recommended dose with their gun doesn't cover much of the sheep - only the most vulnerable areas. The label says it only protects the parts where it lands, so I apply it using an empty and washed out household spray bottle such as those used for window cleaning liquid, kitchen surface or bathroom cleaner etc. The volume of one trigger squeeze can be measured by spraying water into a syringe at the start, so you can still apply the right dose, but over a much larger area of the fleece. When using the spray bottle you have move it sharpish over the sheep to maximise the area treated.

Incidentally, why is the weight related dose so critical as per the label, when it's only an external treatment?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 11:00:40 am »
Crovevct has worked for me ok, but using the recommended dose with their gun doesn't cover much of the sheep - only the most vulnerable areas. The label says it only protects the parts where it lands, so I apply it using an empty and washed out household spray bottle such as those used for window cleaning liquid, kitchen surface or bathroom cleaner etc. The volume of one trigger squeeze can be measured by spraying water into a syringe at the start, so you can still apply the right dose, but over a much larger area of the fleece. When using the spray bottle you have move it sharpish over the sheep to maximise the area treated.

Incidentally, why is the weight related dose so critical as per the label, when it's only an external treatment?

Thats kind of what I do - I use the 'spray' nozzle on a vetrazin gun and hold it well back from the sheep, delivering 5ml squirts, I find it a lot easier to make sure more of the surface of the sheep has a covering of product that way.

The weight dose is important because it is a nerve toxin and pretty nasty stuff.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 02:36:22 am »
No treatment is certain - othorwise everyone would be doing it and making money :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS