Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: using a shetland pony for farm tasks?  (Read 6075 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
using a shetland pony for farm tasks?
« on: August 02, 2013, 09:51:33 pm »
I'd really like to get my sons' shetland doing some useful things - harrowing, pulling a wee trailer etc. but can't quite get my head round how to attach the kit to him!  We have all the kit we need with a draw bar for going on the back of the quad, and Hamish Shetland is used to pulling things as I broke him to drive earlier in the year, we did pulling logs, tyres, cartons of stones etc. now he pulls his little excerise cart very happily, but I don't have much time to drive him just for fun, so would like to exercise him whilst doing something genuinely useful.

My husband is handy with welding/making things etc. etc. but I am not sure what I need him to make in order to attach Hamish to the equipment.  I am sort of imagining something with shafts, wee wheels and then a ball hitch, but am I over complicating?  Any advice gratefully received.

HappyHippy

Re: using a shetland pony for farm tasks?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 09:23:28 am »
.  I am sort of imagining something with shafts, wee wheels and then a ball hitch, but am I over complicating? 
Has he got a tow bar ?  ;D

I think you put a harness around their shoulders and attach the cart to it - but I'm not 100% sure, someone who knows better will be along soon hopefully  :fc: I'm thinking about getting 'jobs' for our donkey to do, but he's never been broken (and is 30 now, so probably too old to even contemplate) so it might have to be a saddlebag type arrangement for carrying pig nuts  :thinking:

Let us know how you get on,
Karen

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 06:26:40 pm »
Thanks, he has got a harness that fits well already, that he wears with his exercise cart, it is the bit in the middle I'm stuck with - how to joing things like harrows and so on to his harness - basically, he needs a tow bar!

Journeyman leather make 'klibbers'?? think that's the right word to hang bags of stuff off, might suit your donkey!

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 07:57:29 pm »
Rosemary will hopefully see this thread and be able to tell you more (if not, drop her a message) she was learning about working her highland pony so is bound to know what you'll need for harrows etc  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip about the bags - I'll check them out  :excited:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 07:59:21 pm »
If it's equipment that won't roll up his bum - like a harrow - you just need a bar to attach the traces to on one side and to attach the equipment to on the other. I'll take a picture of ours tomorrow. Quick release catches are best - just in case.

For anything wheeled, you will need shafts and proper harness to act as a brake.

I bought a Klibber for my Shetland and was very disappointed with the quality of the wood. The leatherwork was fine, but the wood was cheap, brittle pine that split the first time if got any pressure. It's in the "repair" box. I use the saddle from Smokey's harness if he's taking out haynets in winter.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 08:43:09 pm »
Thanks, Rosemary, pics would be great.  I think the best bet might be to find another cheap exercise cart and modify it.

That is a shame about the Klibber, they look like such a good idea.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 11:32:18 pm »
I too am planning on putting a shetland to work (have been planning for 1 1/2 years now, but have just about finished my homemade 'cart').

I can't offer any helpful advice - sounds like you know a lot more about this than me - I had to get expert advice just to figure out where all the bits of the 'english leather' harness I got off ebay were supposed to go and then to make them fit Rosie.

But I'll be looking closely at any pics Rosemary adds and making notes. I was wondering what size chain harrow / spike harrow she might pull.

marcus

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 09:20:48 pm »
http://www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk/SC/saddlechariot :bunny:
I drive a Saddlechariot  but if you make your own vehicle make sure that its balanced right :)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 10:09:24 pm »
I would LOVE a saddlechariot, but can't afford one at the moment, would definitely consider one for the future, though - I'll have to sell a lot of eggs!

FoulaLass

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Shetland
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 02:09:30 pm »
http://www.journeyman-leather.co.uk/

Have a look at the klibbers on there. ^

I have a set and will be buying another soon. Easy peasy to put on and doesn't take long to get started. Just start with a small weight and build it up gradually.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 02:22:57 pm »
A very interesting thread, thank you!
Looking forward to the photos, Rosemary.
I don't even have my donkeys yet, but I was definitely planning to get them to do some work, especially as I have a field that it totally inaccessible for any machinery.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS