Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: moon phases..... full moon for a filly!?  (Read 4477 times)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
moon phases..... full moon for a filly!?
« on: September 26, 2013, 11:24:50 am »
Hello,

I was reading an article about mare fertility as I have one girl who comes on heat but doesn't conceive, will be sorting that out with the vet but wanted to avoid lots of hormones etc. Anyway this article said a mare's fertility can be affected by the lunar cycle and that she is most fertile around the full moon (if she comes in heat then that is) she is apparently also more likely to conceive a filly during the first quarter and full moon phases and a colt is more likely in the last quarter and new moon phases. With this in mind I looked up some of the dates and next year I should expect a colt from one and a filly from the other... It all sounds a bit hippy dippy but I thought I'd share to see if anyone has tried this and also I will of course update next year when the babies are born!

I've been breeding for 25 years, imagine if this is the miracle answer to all my filly prayers haha! I doubt it but its fun to see what happens!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: moon phases..... full moon for a filly!?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 12:17:13 pm »
Never heard of this one so will be interesting to see what happens.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 01:17:25 pm »
the sperm dictates the sex of the offspring. so its the stallion you need to bargain with.

i do believe in the influence of the moon in life in general tho.

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 01:34:47 pm »
A full moon tends to send the kids I work with a bit scatty!

Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 01:52:17 pm »
the sperm dictates the sex of the offspring. so its the stallion you need to bargain with.

i do believe in the influence of the moon in life in general tho.

Quite! This is my reaction to this theory too. Further reading suggested that while the full moon increases the mares fertility it also affected the stallions sperm... it all gets a bit far fetched but we shall see what happens!

The only scientific study that I found was done in New Zealand and it found a link between the mares condition and the sex of the foal... interesting stuff. Here's the link if anyone want to read up on it.. http://horsetalk.co.nz/2012/03/22/study-reveals-how-to-breed-for-a-filly/#axzz2g0BQ2iXS

Anyway I hope the gods contrive to give me two fillies regardless of podge or the moon  :excited:

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 12:22:17 pm »
Will be interested to see how you get one.  I am totally hacked off with breeding at the moment, none of my mares are in foal, with nothing that can be found wrong with them, and having tried two different stallions.  Hope it goes better for you.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 02:35:08 pm »
I don't know you can affect gender, that's the stallion not the moon I reckon too  ;) but there definitely seems to be a larger number of births around full moon so could well be they were conceived then too, who knows.

I had two foals the same night on a full moon in May 2009 - one before midnight the other at 2-3am which I found just as I went to check on the foal I'd seen born a few hours before.  Was one of each tho, filly before midnight, colt after, so I don't think I would hold too much faith in the conception/gender relationship with the moon phase..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 08:17:02 pm »
Breeding horses can be as wonderful as it is frustrating, but nothing beats the feeling when you see a healthy little foal with its mum and if its a filly then i am in seventh heaven! I am crossing everything for a fillly from my chestnut girl! The moon says yes but only time will tell... Its all a bit of fun!

Sorry your girls didnt get pregnant, i have one like that... No idea why she doesnt hold. I am sure she ever gets served by the "wrong" stallion she'll hold haha it would be sods law!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS