Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Storm  (Read 6980 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Storm
« on: August 02, 2013, 08:54:13 pm »
I was just about to go and water the tomatoes in the greenhouse when there was an enormous clap of thunder, now we have a full blown storm without much rain. This probably means the storm is not that close but I really did not fancy being in a metal framed greenhouse with lightning flashing. I may be worrying needlessly but the thought of frying with my tomatoes does not appeal.

I wonder what the chances are of my greenhouse being struck by lightning.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Storm
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 09:28:23 pm »
I don't know but the safest place you can be is in your car  :innocent: 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 09:32:48 pm »
i love storms, we hardly ever have even a sniff of one here.
stay safe tho  :wave:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 09:34:12 pm »
Annie, really? Even though it's metal? I suppose the rubber tyres make it safe. Storm's gone now and it's too dark to see the greenhouse.  ::) Still hardly any rain.

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 09:36:28 pm »
Spectacular lightning here (near Chard Somerset).

Helen

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 11:57:33 pm »
Needless to say, the rain started as soon as I went to do the goats. Typical. At least the garden will be watered even if the tomatoes aren't.  ;D

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 08:20:16 am »
Here (in the Atlantic about 100km west of Shetland) about 1pm yesterday it suddenly went as dark as night, very heavy rain and lightening and the wind went from flat calm to 70kn in a matter of seconds.
The wind caught under the helideck and, in trying to keep us on location the positioning system overcompensated and the rig listed enough to make all the chairs fly across the room.  Back right again within a minute but for a few seconds there were all kinds of bad thoughts going through my head!

That is the third time I have seen a massive wind change nearly instantly, it would be truly terrifying in a small boat.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 09:36:57 am »
Someone took a nice pic of the storm over Exeter

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 09:42:38 am »
Sounds like you southerners and OW had a rough time last night. It was forecast here but nothing arrived. Guess I ll be watering the plants by hand this morning  :-\

Hope you are all safe  :fc:

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 04:47:10 pm »
This is what we had go over us last week. It was truly frightening!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 10:42:56 pm »
There has been some scary weather about. Willie, that must have been really scary. Glad I wasn't there. Great photo, John and Helen. I think storm photos can be dramatic. Maybe I should have got my camera out instead of just moaning about not being able to water the tomatoes (which survived the neglect).

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 10:54:20 pm »
I was just about to go and water the tomatoes in the greenhouse when there was an enormous clap of thunder, now we have a full blown storm without much rain. This probably means the storm is not that close but I really did not fancy being in a metal framed greenhouse with lightning flashing. I may be worrying needlessly but the thought of frying with my tomatoes does not appeal.

I wonder what the chances are of my greenhouse being struck by lightning.

Actually your relatively safe in a metal framed greenhouse (faraday cage); except, maybe, if you touch the frame whilst standing barefoot on damp earth - but even then, (in theory) the earth inside the greenhouse 'cage' should be at the same voltage as the frame so you should be OK. In theory.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 11:01:52 pm »
I am not scared of storms but do worry what damage will occur to our home and others......no real storm here at all...... :raining:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 10:08:29 pm »
Thanks, mab. I did ownder though, if the greenhouse was struck whether the glass would shatter. I wouldn't fancy being near if it did.

Incidentally, it's not unknown for me to walk barefoot on damp earth.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 10:27:38 pm »
Here (in the Atlantic about 100km west of Shetland) about 1pm yesterday it suddenly went as dark as night, very heavy rain and lightening and the wind went from flat calm to 70kn in a matter of seconds.
The wind caught under the helideck and, in trying to keep us on location the positioning system overcompensated and the rig listed enough to make all the chairs fly across the room.  Back right again within a minute but for a few seconds there were all kinds of bad thoughts going through my head!

That is the third time I have seen a massive wind change nearly instantly, it would be truly terrifying in a small boat.

wow, what a place to work.would be quite scary in a storm, i imagine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS