Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Opportunity to move to Edinburgh  (Read 9297 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Re: Opportunity to move to Edinburgh
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 07:13:03 pm »
My regret is that when I moved from 8 years in London back north to work at Dundee Uni I sold my flat in Egham for a couple grand more than I paid for it 18 months before and then because I was renting here waiting to find land near enough to work, I had that tiny capital plus my minimum deposit from it in savings for 5 years and would have been way way better leaving the flat in my name and renting out for 5 years between 1996-2001, THEN selling it when I bought this house - I'd have paid the mortgage off and bought somewhere else bigger by now with all the equity I'd have had after 5 years of Surrey house price inflation :o
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 09:09:55 pm »
My regret is that when I moved from 8 years in London back north to work at Dundee Uni I sold my flat in Egham for a couple grand more than I paid for it 18 months before and then because I was renting here waiting to find land near enough to work, I had that tiny capital plus my minimum deposit from it in savings for 5 years and would have been way way better leaving the flat in my name and renting out for 5 years between 1996-2001, THEN selling it when I bought this house - I'd have paid the mortgage off and bought somewhere else bigger by now with all the equity I'd have had after 5 years of Surrey house price inflation :o

try to look forward as you cant change it now, hindsight is wonderful. i sold my first house for 85k and 4 years later it was worth 125k.
and 8 yrs after buying this house, i wont have made a penny, according to one estate agent, its worth £30k less than i bought it for.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 09:40:24 pm »
All property has dropped across the whole country due to the economic climate - it doesn't actually matter unless you are trying to get on the first rung.

I bought my house, a 5 bed bungalow with an acre, 5 years ago and it is worth £30K less now too, but so is another property I looked at at the same time.

There are still a lot of lovely areas to come and live around here - just put a pin on the map on Edinburgh and draw a circle round it as far out as you feel you want to travel. 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 10:09:22 pm »
We live in the Borders, near Kelso.  it is beautiful.  We also have a very nice 2 bedroomed cottage to rent out, but most people who've been so far have been put iff by not having any mobile signal at all - I think it is one of the good things.

edandfred

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kelso Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 10:59:11 pm »
Have to agree with Mowhaugh - we are just outside Kelso as well.  Great place but a bit of a hike if you need to go to Edinburgh regularly.  But the Borders has a lot going for it - wouldnt want to live anywhere else

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 11:40:24 pm »
I lived in Scotland (Isle of Arran) for eleven years and would love to return although maybe not to the island. The borders are beautiful and an area I would certainly consider if I was moving back up north. I've have to leave my OH behind though. He won't budge.  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 10:27:18 am »
Scotland isn't as well served with fast motorways as England is, so it takes longer to get anywhere within Scotland.  For instance I am five minutes from a new motorway but it still takes me two hours to get to Carlisle, a matter of 125 miles, wheres to Aberdeen it is less miles (110) but takes 20 minutes longer.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2013, 07:47:27 pm »
Anne, I would not want to go back to the M5/ M6 or the M1................nasty car parks.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2013, 08:48:50 pm »
Anne, I would not want to go back to the M5/ M6 or the M1................nasty car parks.
Totally agree, I only go down there by car for Championship Dog Shows - three lined up for the next two months.

I was just pointing out that it takes longer to get about up here.  Slower pace of life suits me fine.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2013, 09:03:35 pm »
I think I would be shell shocked as I  used to take so long to get into work only 6 miles away, I can get to Stirling much quicker, and that's 9..although I have noticed a few more cars!!

another thing about Scotland is even big city rough areas have nice views, I remember chatting so a friend who said he stepped in some dog poo in Leicester and there was no grass around to wipe  he shoe...there are some nice parks in Leicestershire but to me, dog walking is an extension of shopping, you meet so many people and some are dressed up for a dog walk and can be quite errrrrrr strange about any dog sniffing theirs...up here I meet proper dog walkes and never any bother!! In fact I quite often meet no one!!

Just remembered any cheeky reason, we love our 10p deals and there is nearly always salad and brown bread for 10p...seems not so popular here :innocent:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2013, 12:00:55 am »
Maybe that's why we never have 10p deals here: the people of Telford are healthy eaters.  :roflanim:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2013, 07:22:21 am »
We often get loads of veg too.....I make soup or stock straight away before it goes off....me and my husband adore veg and fruit more than meat yet not stereotyping, it's not a veg loving country, even posh restaurants do not often bother with a side salad  :-J       No that's not fair but it appears that way to me

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2013, 10:48:08 pm »
That was my experience as well. I think various branches of Tesco must fix their own prices for selling stuff cheap. Either that or I go at the wrong time.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2013, 10:56:58 pm »
You have to be at the shop at the right time, there are houses for sale near to Tesco but not quite what we want but we would certainly eat cheaply and well...thing is my husband buys all the stuff then I franticly have to cook it all, he also buys tons of flowers, they look nice but I am running around doing flower arrangements all the time, the cheeky sod told me to  bash the rose stems and put sugar in the water, I always do that but he cut off most the pink roses and just shuved them all in a vase,. they were dead in days!! anyway, I digress.....as usual :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS