Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much are ewes worth once lambs are weaned?  (Read 2882 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
How much are ewes worth once lambs are weaned?
« on: August 02, 2013, 11:00:47 am »
Looking at two ewes tomorrow and a ewe lamb.

One ewe has lambed once the other is older ( not exactly sure how old till tomo but poss a full mouth)

How much are the ewes worth?.they are suffolk crosses

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: How much are ewes worth once lambs are weaned?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 11:22:49 am »
How long is a piece of string?  Age, condition, pedigree, breeding history ..... 

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 04:12:29 pm »
Well I sold some last year at weaning for £100 each but no interest this year. I still think £80-100 is fair as ones I sold were kept til shearlings then all had twins. Even a cull lamb I sold for £50 had a cracking set of twins.

I have about 8 and some are as big as their mums now so could go to tup I reckon. One or two are smaller.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 07:14:13 pm »
If you mean price of ewe lambs upon weaning I would agree that circa £100 is fair and reasonable for well grown lambs that are of a good quality/substance.  I have had interest in my Hampshire Down X ewe lambs that a now circa 4 months old at £100 each and they did not quibble the price at all.

If you mean what older ewes are worth once their lambs are weaned from them, they I would say around a similar price although could be circa £130 for a quality commercial type ewe.  Have a look at a couple of market reports from the past few weeks for a guide on what they are currently making. 

I believe the market is currently quite flat for most livestock - Sedgemoor auctioneers blame this upon school holidays, the current hot weather and buyers not yet looking at purchasing replacement stock.  However they seem to think things will bounce back, so fingers crossed it will do.  I am not in too much of a hurry to move mine on at the moment and any that I do have left come September/October time will go in to one of the special ewe/ewe lamb sales.  I hope to sell them privately before then though - I have found some super homes so far for my lads and lasses (hope Paddy is doing well Ladgygrey!).  Buyers are out there - it's just a case of being patient this year I think.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 07:29:52 pm »
I got them :)

Got them down to 90 each for the ewes and 50 for a cracking ewe lamb!

Chuffed :D

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 09:11:21 am »
Well done!  hope they do well for you.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS