Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newborn lamb can't stand  (Read 13141 times)

Jiddies

• Joined Aug 2013
Newborn lamb can't stand
« on: August 03, 2013, 08:41:02 pm »
We had a lamb born yesterday morning, a twin, and it can't stand. It wasn't that cold when it was born, and the other twin is up and running around fine. This one was trying to stand up and couldn't so we gave it a feed of colostrum and put it in the heater for a couple of hours to warm it up. It still wouldn't stand so we took it home and fed it again. It looks healthy enough, is very vocal, sits with its head up and tries to stand but it's legs don't work. I had it taking a couple of wobbly steps last night but this morning they're not working again. They go all floppy and it's like he can't remember they're there.
Any suggestions?

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: Newborn lamb can't stand
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 08:46:15 pm »
Personally call a vet ASAP and if needed take it to them!

Jiddies

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 09:08:40 pm »
I can't get him to a vet today, and I don't have any time in the next week to bottle feed him as I have school. I need him to be better by tonight else he will be put down!

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 10:01:56 pm »
Have you spoken to a vet?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 10:34:59 pm »
I had one like that once - massive single. Was tubing him his mothers milk so was having to milk her off every 4 hours. Finally got it to stand/suck by day two, wherupon it promptly died.

Jiddies

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 10:56:51 pm »
He's walking now! I think it took him a while to wake up properly this morning. He walks really funny, with stiff limbs though, and can only manage a few steps but I fed him standing up so fingers crossed!

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 08:56:38 am »
Hope he makes it, could just be a slow starter, or maybe he was cramped up inside for a while before he was born.  We've had this with one leg before, but not all 4.  Good luck!

We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 09:22:44 am »
I've had 'flopbot' lambs before - just took a while to get the strength to work their legs.  In one case, he took 10 days.  But all came right in the end.  It could be a lack of some nutrient in utero - as a twin, perhaps the other got all the goodies and this one missed out.  It's a late lamb, perhaps an unexpected lambing?  In which case, perhaps the ewe didn't get the cake and/or mineral supplements she'd have got if the lambing were planned and expected?  Shortage of selenium would be my first guess, but it could be any of the nutrients required by the ewe and lamb in utero.  Anyway, glad to hear he's up and walking now.  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS