Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: So what is safe for a dog to chew on  (Read 18355 times)

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Re: So what is safe for a dog to chew on
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2013, 09:42:27 am »
Our retreiver loves a good chew. We give her rawhide chews which she loves, they just don't last very long! She has had bones from the pet shop and pets at home have also started selling deer antler which we tried, she absolutely loved it! It didn't splinter at all, lasted for ages and was full of marrow.

We also have nylabones which she loves, never had any trouble so far.

What we don't give her is things like tennis balls and roes etc as she just eats them.

I think, to a certain extent, everything can be pontentially dangerous. I think it can be easy to pander to warnings and stuff but at the end of the day, you can be chewing your dinner and crack a tooth causing a trip to the dentist etc. but you can't not eat because there is a small risk you might choke/get ill/hurt a tooth etc.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2013, 02:28:29 pm »
my pup needs chews to keep him occupied whilst im at work but the labrador scoffs anything in sight , rawhide included- any suggestions, except separating them??

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2013, 04:48:55 pm »
Separate them, probably best for the pup's safety anyway
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2013, 04:59:03 pm »
Is there a chance of them fighting? Is safety in that way an issue?

Separating could mean that pup gets lonely and even more bored and inclined to get into mischief.  :-\

Depends on your dogs. You probably know their personalities best and can make that judgement. Think it varies with different breeds too. Neighbours collies are always housed individually after a certain age because too much risk of a serious fight. My retrievers  :fc:  have always been left together and never a fight ..... don't leave food down though only water.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2013, 07:29:42 pm »
My Doberman likes stealing small cinders that have fallen from the wood burner (cold thankfully ). But he's also started taking an interest in the bookcase recently :-( weird as he's elderly and didn't before. A copy in Latin of the Rudens of Plautus was ripped up and on the floor when I came back in from outside yesterday :-( it belonged to OH who said that even in his own day some Romans didn't find Plautus' comedies funny so maybe Monty also found it dull... :excited:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2013, 09:24:59 pm »
Funny what they decide to chew up...maybe he book smells interesting...think our pup is still young enough not to do much damage.......yet......

S3Z

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2013, 05:54:28 pm »
For long lasting treats, my lot get anco roots. They are hidden until I give them for a chew sesh! Keeps them interested :)

For dental maintenance and a quicker chew, I make homemade sweet potato chews and they get raw Turkey necks to munch on :)

I don't like nylabones due to the chemicals in them but that's just a personal choice! Honestly, you won't find anything that doesn't have a bad words about it out there somewhere! So it's about personal preferences.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2013, 06:21:28 pm »
anco roots? what is that?

carrots are popular with some of mine.

S3Z

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2013, 10:00:15 am »
Anco roots, quoted from their website.

"ANCO Roots are tree roots from a secret eco-sustainable source. They are hand harvested in protected areas to ensure there is no damage to the roots or forests. Only the tuber of the root is harvested which then sprouts again. They are limited to a responsible number each year, keeping the ecological impact to a minimum.

100% Untreated
Will Not Splinter
Extremely Durable
Long Lasting
Fun Natural Chew Toy
Natural Toothbrush
Naturally Present Vitamins and Minerals
Suitable For All Sizes - Including Puppies"

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2013, 10:26:45 am »
I googled them and was surprised.......never heard of hem before but I will look out for them, next shopping trip I will get some sweet potato's......

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS