Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: So what is safe for a dog to chew on  (Read 18362 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: So what is safe for a dog to chew on
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 07:52:40 pm »
wev had a dog scratch his throat on a deers leg, chip his teeth on a pigs head but wev never had a problem with him eating welly boots. he must have ate 15 pairs in his puppyhood. so wellies are the way to go  :roflanim: :roflanim:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 08:16:52 pm »
wellies it is then :thumbsup:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 08:57:54 pm »
 :roflanim:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 09:15:30 pm »
Mind you,  ours chewed our cheap pretend crocs, now they just steal them

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 11:25:58 pm »
This new pup of mine just loves Crocs. She takes them by the strap and 'kills' them. And then runs off with them.

I am trying to train myself to put them up on top of something when I take them off, cos if I don't there's never two where I left them  :D

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 11:36:51 pm »
This new pup of mine just loves Crocs. She takes them by the strap and 'kills' them. And then runs off with them.

I am trying to train myself to put them up on top of something when I take them off, cos if I don't there's never two where I left them  :D

all our shoes have to put on a shelf in the kitchen - looks bizarre but if they are left on the floor the dogs get them. the terrier knocks everything off the shelf in the porch so we cant even leave them there!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 09:15:17 am »
Our Labs always take just my crocs to bed, we have a few designer ones with the straps gone and extra air vents but they are only cheap, I also find if I am not quick, our Yellow lab will help herself to dirty washing, again she does not destroy stuff but takes it into her bed, although I have said this before on here, a young chap staying gave me his washing to do, I heard the dogs play fighting and went out to find 2 of them tugging at  his designer T shirt and they had ripped the nude lady out the centre, the young lad did laugh and we did give him the value of the T Shirt but all the other T shirts were cheap Asda ones......anyway, I am still non the wiser, maybe I should double check with the vet as pups need to chew and do chew but I want them to chew on stuff they should and not what they shouldn't!!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 08:35:18 pm »
Mine get bones, mostly - but always uncooked unless they are cattle bones that you buy from petshops.

They do love to chew on any dead sheep I have to pick up in the back of the landrover which makes for some entertaining smells/experiences at the kennels putting bits of a ewe into the bins....

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 10:29:38 pm »
I suppose that's really what they're supposed to chew. Sheep or cattle bones.

Are they best uncooked?

I know they're never supposed to have chicken bones.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 12:07:34 am »
I suppose that's really what they're supposed to chew.

Maybe in the wild they will have a bit of gnaw but usually go for the softer flesh.
Domestic dogs have lost the ability to digest bones like their ancestors could and it gathers along the intestines dehydrating the dog due to it's dry texture and travelled effect compacts often causing blockages. Rarely a week goes by without a dog being treated for symptoms related to being given bones ( cooked and raw )

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 06:56:10 am »
Thanks Shaz, I had in my head that bones were bad news, but didn't know if I was right and it sorta didn't make sense.

Think I'll stick with nylabones.

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 08:18:21 am »
I just let mine chew me - just so I can keep an eye on them and Make sure that they come to no harm, if I'm busy they either wait nicely for me to become available or just chew each other

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 08:35:41 am »
 :D

The landshark I have just rescued thinks that the best thing to chew is me. I am trying to train her out of it  :D

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 09:02:33 am »
Mmmmm .... confusing regarding raw bones.

When the vet told me to give them to Alf, I did discuss negatives with her (as mentioned by MS) because I'd read they weren't a good idea, her opinion was that nothing was ENTIRELY safe but that the occasional bone was likely to be a healthier option than any treats, chews or doggy tooth brushing equipment.

With a different vet now so think I'll ask this ones views on the subject ...... Alf will be disappointed though because he is a fussy eater and bones and quail eggs (raw with shell) are the only things that he sees as a "treat"  ;D . Turns his nose up at the ones out of packets.  ::)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2013, 09:25:41 am »
I give mine raw bones; they're free from the butcher. I'm sure there are horror storries about just about everything, and sure we've interrupted their evolution a lot, but surely dogs are meant to eat raw bones of various animals? 
He also gets whole rabbits, but he's good, spends ages chewing and nibbling his way through them, whereas I know some dogs try to swallow whole and it all gets compacted!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS