Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: So what is safe for a dog to chew on  (Read 18356 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: So what is safe for a dog to chew on
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 10:01:59 am »
On  conclusion, to every "Chew treat" there is a negative and a positive, I bought some proper nylon bones ready for  puppy that's due soon.....I do not want any pup to chew sticks or wood as I know that can and will splinter.....when they are tiny its much easier as they can chew and not bite off bits but as they age it gets harder.....I only give the pups toys to play with then take them away although I do leave soft toys in their beds with them until they get to the de stuff stage, many many squeaky toys would not last a min with a fully grown dog and I have found some of the more expensive Kongs are not played with, when we get friends or relatives dogs visit the whole of the toy box comes out along with buckets and brushes.......I was a little upset that the visitor we had ruined my purple and my lime green bucket  :innocent: , now I only have plain black buckets and its not the same...anyway..the chew debate goes on....... ::)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 10:10:03 am »
I went to a shop yesterday and bought some super tuff pup toys. I'm fed up with buying Mr Cheweverything toys only for him to completely destroy it in minutes. At the weekend, he won a couple of rosettes at a dog show, in his prize bag were dog balls, we gave him one while waiting for his next class and 20 seconds it was ripped to shreds!
So, I bought another KONG yesterday and a purple ferret looking tough toy with ropes on it. so far so good! I've also ordered a 'brick' as I think that might help with his yearning to work and use his brain so much (not a housebrick  ;) but one of those ones that they have to slide bits on and seek the treat out).

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2013, 10:15:10 am »
 :thumbsup:
I remember my mother in law buying some dog toys and our Rottie cross destroyed them as she sat and had her cup of tea, she was unpleased but you do need to buy strong toys for most dogs!! I used to see a staffie where I worked playing and throwing a traffic cone around......not too sure of the lead that may be in them!!   

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2013, 10:40:17 pm »
any toys we get are usually chosen by the kids, so it tends to be meerkats, mini whoopicushions, mini funhoppers etc
footballs and squeakers dont last 2 mins here.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2013, 11:04:39 pm »
Just watch the squeakers - they can get stuck in throats.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2013, 12:10:07 pm »
Just found this recipe for dog chews - using sweet potatoes. I suppose you could eat them yourself too  :innocent:

1 Large Sweet Potato, washed & dried
Recommended Equipment:

Food dehydrator or slow oven
Instructions:

Preheat oven to 250° F
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Cut off one side of the sweet potato lengthwise, as close to the edge as possible. Cutting the side of the potato first allows you to then turn the potato onto this flat surface that you have just created. Having a stable area to rest the potato will make it easier to cut the potato into slices. Don't discard that first piece, it comes out just as yummy as the rest!
Cut the rest of the potato into 1/3" slices, no smaller than 1/4".
Place them on the prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 3 hours, turning half way through.
Cool completely on a wire rack.
Storing - Although these treats are dried, you will want to keep them in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. You can freeze them for up to 4 months.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2013, 12:29:05 pm »
They sound like chips....may have a go when I have the oven on again....I used to put stuff like that in the AGA in my old life  :innocent: , brilliant for drying things out. Last night I found 2 sausages that were rock hard as I left them in the oven buy mistake, the dogs had half each and loved them, I know they are a bit fatty though!!! Thanks :thumbsup:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2013, 01:17:51 pm »
All my dogs have had nylabones without any problems. We have found them safer than other things that sold for chewing..

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2013, 01:22:43 pm »
While engrossed in this my pup has helped herself to a lump of coal :innocent:
I have some small nylon bones for the pup to chew on, she has a variety of things although her mum found the nice dog chews I kept in a bag in the car!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2013, 01:28:33 pm »
I buy new ones every Christmas, the dogs know I am sure what is under the tree .

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2013, 02:04:24 pm »
Our guys love 'stag bars' - horns, they also love cow sinu & hoofs get them from the website zooplus along with dried spratts for a healthy treat/ training  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2013, 03:34:22 pm »
Just remember to check teeth if you give stag horns and really hard stuff to chew on.  Yes they remove plaque, but they can also split the molars!

Spinningfishwife

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2013, 03:38:57 pm »
I was given a spinning wheel because the owners terrier wouldn't stop chewing the legs. I did suggest keeping the wheel on the other side of a door from the dog but apparently this was cruel, to lock a dog out when she was enjoying herself with her hobby. So she rehomed the wheel with me. I'm not ungrateful, believe me!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2013, 08:40:20 pm »
my pup is currently enjoying my window frames, no ill affects at all.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2013, 08:58:18 pm »
I had a dog that used to chew the window frame, I think to try to get my attention.....our pup loves the fire, bits of wood and coal everywhere if given a chance,,,and the shrubs :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS