Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My goats are not for eating!!  (Read 7258 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: My goats are not for eating!!
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 11:50:01 am »
I've been a bit wary since a taxi driver (well tanned) stopped and asked OH if the goats were for sale.
We live up a farm track, a security camera looks out of a bedroom window over the field, the girls and babies are locked in barn at night, internal bolt/locks on stable door and yale type lock on metal door, boys are out of sight in a lower field, I did think about leaving girls out overnight in the hot weather but decided against it.
Hope everybodys animals stay safe

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 11:52:04 am »
I would have thought that eating an intact male would mean you would have tainted meat from the billy smell??

yes it is tainted.......that's the appeal to some cultures.

there is a market across the board for goat meat.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 02:58:40 pm »
Is there a shortage of goat meat??  The reason I ask, is that one of the men said he had been quoted £195 for a goat in Scotland  (he was in Manchester) and that was the only one he had been able to find.  But he seemed more than willing to travel to collect a goat .....hopefully not on the back seat of the nice Merc he was driving.

Another thing springs to mind - CPH numbers?  These people want to buy my goats - they live in Manchester, which in all probability means nowhere to keep a goat.  Would they therefore want to buy the goat and disregard paperwork?? 

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 04:40:26 pm »
yep....is the short answer.

Yes there is a shortage of goat meat.    Average price normally for a good weight carcase, properly done thro' abbatoir is in the £150 bracket  & many butchers willing to pay.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 07:07:01 pm »
Plenty of people selling goat meat now - tell any prospective buyers http://www.chestnutmeats.co.uk/ are good. Also Abraham http://www.organic-halal-meat.com/index.php are organic and well-run.  Most slaughter houses have a halal slaughterman which is worth telling anyone tp stop them killing in the back garden.

Your best bet, if it doesn't affect your business, is to put up some sort of disease-control poster maybe - that'll put 'em off!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 07:47:53 pm »
Your best bet, if it doesn't affect your business, is to put up some sort of disease-control poster maybe - that'll put 'em off!
thats what i was thinking, pretend they are under quarantine for something infectious and put a sign to say so.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS