Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lice  (Read 3082 times)

Zoobec

• Joined Jul 2013
Lice
« on: July 22, 2013, 10:17:28 pm »
Hi, sorry for the long first post! I've just got 2 goat kids, Toggenburg/Saanan, they're 2 1/2 months old. I've had them 10 days. They were wormed with panacur before they left the breeder. One of them started scouring a few days ago, so I called out the vet, who thought it may be the wormer or the change of environment and lush grass. the vet gave an injection of antibiotics in case of an infection and left electrolytes for me to give her, and took a fecal sample to test for worms etc.  We've discovered she's got lice, there are eggs and lice. The vet didnt want to treat the lice until I had verified the type of wormer she had had. I'm waiting for the vet to get back to me with advice on treatment, but despite ringing up to chase it up Ive not got an answer..... I've kept the off the grass, the scouring has stopped and it would seem shes pooing normally now.

What's the best way of treating the lice, I've tried barrier lice powder on Saturday but she's still got live lice present . I've only got the 2 goats so I don't really want to buy a huge quantity of treatment, but on the other hand I want to be sure I'm getting rid of the lice. It's 10days since she had the panacur.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Lice
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 11:34:26 pm »
i used eprinex pour-on on mine as a routine treatment but also as we had 2 bald patches. its for cattle but i checked it was fine with the vet first.
what a dodgy start for you, hope things get better from now on.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 06:20:47 am »
Both Cooper's spot-on for sheep or Eprinex for cattle will treat lice. Both are quite pricey to buy, but usually last a few years. You will find there are very few medicinies that are licensed for use in/on goats and you will mostly have to accept cattle or sheep medicines but they usually work. You may be best to get yourself a book on goat veterinary care, as often the vest have had no experience in goats and will rely on you to be clued up about what to do....

Zoobec

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 08:28:10 am »
Thankyou both for that, I'll have a look at both of those and if I buy one with a long shelf life it will be more economical. I think a good goat book is in order, I did get the impression the vets rely on you for knowledge when she told me to use a louse powder which was specifically for buildings ......

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 08:44:34 am »
Check with the vet practice as ours dispenses per animal for smallholders, saving the expense of buying the bottle - so Spot on I get 20 doses in a bottle and just pay for that, ditto wormers (not vaccines as they come in sealed bottles) - also keeps a good record as the vet bill specifies it to for when you forget to put it in the medicine book!

Zoobec

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 07:48:20 am »
Thankyou all, I spoke to the vet and they didn't have the facility to offer a per treatment option, so I've ordered the coopers spot on, and hopefully that should do the trick

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 04:50:44 pm »
Let us know how it goes.

Zoobec

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 05:41:02 pm »
I'm still waiting for the spot on to be delivered.... Grr.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS