Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My goats are not for eating!!  (Read 7245 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
My goats are not for eating!!
« on: July 24, 2013, 12:12:29 pm »
Being near the road, and not far from Manchester, since moving my goats to the new fields, I have noticed a lot of interest from certain members of society who are looking for meat goats.  One stopped to enquire if I would sell him a goat, as he had not had goat meat for over a year.....unable to source any. I gave him a number of someone who may help .  Usually they ask, and they go on their way. Last night I was just walking Darren the male AN back over to his stable, and noticed a big white van slow down and watch him.  It went, then came back and looked again.  Darren is large, and understandably, may be of interest to people wanting goat meat due to his size.  Just hope they do not come back and take him. and the others.  When I questioned the other man, the fact that a goat may be intact did not seem to bother them.
What bothered me, was when he said he would take the goat whole, but could I (yes me) kill it the halal way, and I could keep the skin ........after I picked myself up off the floor, I gave me reply ??? :o :o

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: My goats are not for eating!!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 12:17:02 pm »
There's apparently a whole lot of sheep rustling great and small going on around the country, so I'm sure goats will be at risk too.
Watch out for your boy and up your security  :goat:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 12:20:16 pm »
Our stables got done last September - a farm overlooks the land, but quite a way off.  Goats are down two large fields, so quite a way to walk them to a vehicle,but it is worrying.  Does anyone know how much a 25kg plus meat goat is going for?  Man said he was quoted £195 which may have been to put him off .......

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 02:26:01 pm »
Quote from: Roxy link=topic=36048.msg358142#msg358142 date=
, the fact that a goat may be intact did not seem to bother them.
[/quote

some people will only buy entire males.

we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 03:25:54 pm »
I would have thought that eating an intact male would mean you would have tainted meat from the billy smell??

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 04:15:23 pm »
DO not  quote me.., but I belive that rams and billys need to be intact owing to beliefs be very careful and secure!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 04:30:36 pm »
As I do not live on site, there is only so much I can do.  There again, adding up the pure bred AN females, and the male, plus my other females and intact male .....and all the ponies, there is some moneysworth.  Unfortunately I was too far away to take a registration number.  Just hope they were only looking, and nothing more.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 04:35:49 pm »
Is there anyone in the vicinity who will also keep an eye out for suspect vehicles etc? What a dreadful worry for you!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 04:38:35 pm »
I hope you've got padlocks on the gates. I worry about mine, ever since a local pub had someone get into the garden one night and steal their billy goat. The thieves had obviously slaughter it before moving it as there was a quantity of blood that looke dlike its throat had been slit. The landlord then rehomed of all his animals, which were there for children to see, as he was so upset and didn't want to risk a repeat.

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 06:21:52 pm »
How awful!!  How could someone do that,when obviously they were pets!

Hope your goats are ok.

Helen

Carolswoolies

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 07:07:44 pm »
What a worry for you.
I do hope that you can get someone nearby to keep an eye open.
Might it be worth mentioning to the Police? I've heard that they can be quite helpful with the likes.
Good luck.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 08:10:31 pm »
What a worry for you.
I do hope that you can get someone nearby to keep an eye open.
Might it be worth mentioning to the Police? I've heard that they can be quite helpful with the likes.
Good luck.

police will tell you to get CCTV.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 08:30:24 pm »
Probably the last thing you need to be thinking of at the moment Roxy - I know I'd be shattered if anyone stole any of our animals  :'(   (especially for slaughtering) - but are you insured against theft?  I know it would never replace them, but you clearly have some sought after animals.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 12:46:45 am »
Padlocks are useless - when we were broken in to, they bolt cropped all the chains on the gates, and they were substantial chains.  These people know how to sort the CCTV and alarms out.  At my old farm, three houses/barn conversions border my fields, and my dogs are there, so that's a deterrent.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 11:37:07 am »
Its a worry , I always get concerned when anyone is coming here to look at Goats or Poultry incase they are just sussing the place out.
I do however make a point of telling people not to get out of the car when they arrive untill we go out as there is 2 Irish wolfhounds and a German shepherd running loose  ::)
We can see people coming up the drive so always make sure we open the door so the dogs go out first  :innocent:
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS