Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Slow Cooker/Crockpot/Microwave  (Read 7333 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Slow Cooker/Crockpot/Microwave
« on: July 21, 2013, 10:34:37 pm »
My berry pan is old, it's thin, it burns stuff, and presently is in my outside freezer containing grape juice from a year and a half ago waiting for someone to turn it into wine.   ::)  Last year I borrowed a friend's berry pan, but they are on holiday so I had to figure out what to do with the gooseberries and blackcurrants that needed picking.  This website gave me the answer - just look at all these delicious recipes.  Goosies are in the slow cooker now!

http://pinterest.com/swedishflicka88/slow-cooker-jams-i-wanna-make-and-eat/
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: Slow Cooker/Crockpot/Microwave
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 05:57:18 am »
How did it go?

I have slow cooker and gooseberries , what do I do next?
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 09:36:45 am »
I put mine in the cooker with a small amount of water (less than half a cup)- cooker is half full.  Put it on Low setting all evening, then switched it off and stirred in equal weight of sugar (slightly less as I prefer not too sweet)

Going out this morning so leaving it on low and hope it will be done when I get home.  Either that or my dining room floor will be a sweet sticky mess  :roflanim:  Seriously, it doesn't boil at that level and one website I saw said to take the lid off a wee while before you need the jam to be ready and at that point you put up to high, and test for set.

Have a go with some of your berries - I've still got half of mine to do the traditional way and I'm hoping to find a berry pan in my travels today.  Off to do my duty today - Jury duty.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 10:12:30 pm »
Let us know how it goes, Annie - the jam that is. I have a slow cooker and about a million jostaberries ripening.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 10:46:26 pm »
It smells absolutely delicious, but it's a bit runny.  I've turned the cooker off.  Maybe I should have added pectin.  i'm never sure which berries you need it for and which you don't.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 12:39:11 pm »
Brilliant results.  Most beautiful colour, absolutely delicious and perfect consistency.  I'll be doing this again!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 01:47:56 pm »
Have put blackcurrants in now.
Can't believe the colour of the goosie jam though - a beautiful rich dark reddy brown! :excited:

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 07:09:06 pm »
I need idiot proof instructions please
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 07:30:10 pm »
Ok, use same proportions of fruit and sugar as for normal berry pan jam.  I used less sugar as I don't like my jam too sweet. Not many types of berry need extra water but I put a couple of tablespoons in the bottom of the bowl then put the berries in.

Leave the slow cooker on low with the lid on for about 4 hours, switch off and stir in sugar, leaving to cool till sugar is melted (I left it overnight).  Then put cooker back on low after stirring well to make sure sugar is dissolved.  I left it for a morning like that.  Then take the lid off, cover with a dry cloth (tea towel)  and leave for another couple of hours.  You could test for setting then and jar up, or do what I did switch it off and forget about it  :innocent:  I jarred mine cold after sterilizing the jars and lids  in the dishwasher.  I have absolutely no idea why it has gone a gorgeous red brown colour as it doesn't taste in the slightest caramelized or burnt

The second lot has just been done in the microwave so I'll see how that turns out - it's still green!

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 10:30:12 pm »
Cheers , will attempt and let you know how I get on!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 11:19:05 pm »
Good luck, just did some in microwave too - much quicker but not so tasty, and still green rather than that lovely red brown.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 07:55:40 am »
some of those recipes look lovely, I'm now following that board!  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 08:50:15 pm »
Slightly off-topic. When my ex and I were first married, we went to a pick your own farm and came back with loads of strawberries and gooseberries. I announced I was making jam that evening as I wanted to try out my new preserving pan. I made several jars then took him some bread with the new jam to try out. He loved it. Ate the lot then said, "You can really taste the strawberries in that." I replied, "It's gooseberry jam." He was going by the colour, of course.   :roflanim:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 11:22:44 pm »
Well, I tried the slow cooker jam today with my crop of jostaberries (which took an age to pick and then top and tail). Unfortunately I had fogotten that tonight was my book club night, until someone turned up for it. By the time I went back into the kitchen, the jam was very, very well cooked. I tested it and have made it into chewy strips for the grandchildren to munch. Will let you know how it turned out. And if I ever get the crock pot clean again.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 09:52:11 am »
Just leave it to soak in cold water, it'll be fine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS