Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Preserving chillies  (Read 2526 times)

oldwolf

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Livingston
Preserving chillies
« on: August 03, 2013, 07:38:31 pm »
Has anyone got any experience of preserving chillies, I have frozen them in the past with mixed results.  I want to try to pickle them, got an abundance once again.
'And the crowd called out for more'

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: Preserving chillies
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 10:14:56 pm »
I froze them successfully last year, I just put them whole into a zip closed plastic bag and use them from frozen and it seems to work well.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 10:18:08 pm »
I've only tried freezing them. They were fine.
Going to try drying some this year since it's warm and dry.

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 10:37:53 pm »
The last crop I had before moving (2001) I char grilled the excess large varieties, skinned, de-seeded and froze them in ice cube trays so they were in handy sizes. The small thin varieties I put on top of our combination oven / microwave. The heat soon dried them. I then ground them up to use as chilli flakes. I am only just using the last of it and it has been fine.

Helen

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 09:17:32 am »
I have never tried freezing chilli. Mainly because the thought never occurred to me  :dunce:
I dry my chilli's, I tie them on string and hang them in the airing cupboard or over the wood burner. It works for me.

ArosP

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 09:28:14 am »
I pickle them a bit like guerkins in a  briny liquid and put in with them cherry tomatoes and carrot batons and they are lovely-they look great and are really nice in sandwiches. Rather like the chilies you can buy in jars for mexican food. I will have to rack my brains for exact recipe but will try and post more info in next day or two. It is good with mild chilies like Hungarian hot wax(personal taste of cousre) and some hot ones in the jar to fire up the toms and carrots. I once worked for a turkish family who woul dhave a big bucket of these type of pickles by the back door and she put all sorts in but never onions as she said it over took all other flavours

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS