Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dog - "heat rash"?  (Read 9606 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Dog - "heat rash"?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 03:12:12 pm »
I'd love to go to the beach with teh dogs today but too far to sit in the car in this heat. :relief:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 04:48:44 pm »
Never ever thought I would moan about being toooooo hot in Scotland but we are staying put too, we have one of Islay's girls with us and she follows me back and forward all the time, I have to stay out the way so she will keep cooler, as I have a bit of an infection and steves here just for today, I had a lie down in the front room with all the snoring dogs, it was cool and lovely, again, never thought I would be so grateful for a cool house!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 04:58:02 pm »
I've just had my first ever COLD shower - that is definitely a first! ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 10:20:40 pm »
I took my poor girl back to the vets today. He gave me some shampoo for using twice a week & 2 lots of tablets. I lot of tablets is steroids. She has to take them on a reducing scale. 3 for 3 Days,2 for 3 days etc.
If there isn't a dramatic improvement by Saturday, he wants to see her again.

I must admit that after washing all around the neck & ears and her also having some tablets, she looks a bit  better this evening.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 10:24:32 pm »
Hope she continues to improve.  I think you were tight to take her back today.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 10:26:31 pm »
Hoping both dogs are feeling better tonight  :fc:

I'm not complaining about the sun or heat at all but it does bring it's  problems.  :sunshine:

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 10:28:22 pm »
Little Sprocket seems a lotbrighter this evening, but his rash is very red and sore. Going to take him in to the vet tomorrow if it is still the same tomorrow.  i think his torpor is to do with the flea/tick treatment.  have used three different types now and they all put him into is state every month for two days - not good.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 10:47:23 pm »
Have you tried Activil?? Its new and only works on the fleas, its an inert chemical on the dog, or a Serestro collar? Again non systemic and works for fleas and ticks for 8 months!!!

Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 11:23:35 pm »
when i lived in australia, i used a spot-on treatment for fleas and it left a huge burning wound in the dogs neck. it was a well known brand but a dodgy batch. the vets took him in and washed him allday to get the stuff off, and the flea company paid the bill.
so it could well be the flea treatment.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 12:34:30 pm »
Had to take him to the vet.  Rash very red and sore.  They gave antibiotics, antisceptic wash and pain killers.  Oh yes and a bill for 58 quid!  Poor little Sprocket - that's his holiday money gone!   ;)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 05:33:06 pm »
I Hope the vet has sorted him out now. It must be very distressing for the dogs in this heat.
Sorry to have hijacked your post a bit with my girl. My bills so far £52 Monday & £54 yesterday. The vets must like the figure of £50 something for a visit.

I hope he gets better soon now. :fc:
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2013, 09:51:05 am »
Poking my nose in here :thinking: .  As Sprocket is so badly affected by the flea/tick traeatment, is it really necessary to use it so often?  How about feeding garlic and using herbal deterrants combined with a daily 'inspection'.  Just a thought, I hope the poor little man is feeling much better :hug:
Two well known brands seem to have no effect on the ticks in my area, neither on the dogs or cats.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2013, 10:09:29 am »
Poke away Bramblecot!   :thumbsup:   He has never had fleas (to my knowledge) but he does pick up ticks all the time which is why I can't use some of the other treatments which don't cover ticks.  I am definitely going over to the collar deterrent next month, but if that doesn't help - will definitely research the natural methods.  It just seems to me that these treatments are just too strong for a 10kilo dog.

I have to say, I am wishing I went to thevet earlier, as this morning Sprocket's rash has nearly gone after just one dose of antibiotics!  Poor love.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 10:11:00 am by Greenerlife »

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2013, 05:27:24 pm »
i have a tick tool that takes out a tick with a little twist. we rarely get ticks here luckily. the ponies get on average one a year. we had more in hampshire - i even had a few on me there...urgh

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS