Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dog - "heat rash"?  (Read 9588 times)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Dog - "heat rash"?
« on: July 17, 2013, 04:32:02 pm »
Ok - it's been a solid week of 30 degree temperatures here, and my little Parsons terrier doesn't want to do much except laze in the sun, get too hot, and move gently into the shade.  Had to gve him his flea treatment  a couple of days ago (he never reacts well to it) and he's gone into a torpor.  No food or water yesterday until the evening.  oday I have managed to get him to eat and drink this afternoon but he has a rash of some sorts around his "important little places" which he has been licking frantically for two days and he has a rash or heat bumps?  He won't allow me to put cold towel on it - I tried with a cold teatowel and I noticed some blood on the towel, where he has rubbed it sore.  Any ideas as to what to do for him?  he looks so uncomfortable.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Dog - "heat rash"?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 04:35:43 pm »
Sounds like a skin infection. You can try half a piriton twice daily for a few days to reduce itching but he may need some antibiotics and/or steroid treatment to settle it. Think it's a vet visit to be honest.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 05:06:06 pm »
Calamine lotion and antihistamine - piriton is Ok for dogs and half a tablet for that size is probably ok too.  Hope he feels better soon but if he won't drink you do need to see your vet pretty quick.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 05:16:33 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  Have given him Piriton and a splash in the paddling pool!  Having looked at some pretty ghastly pictures on the internet, I think he might have impetigo.  (i used to tell my gran off for self diagnosis years ago, and here I am doing it for my dog!   :D ). I am sure I have calamine somewhere...just having my bathroom refitted,so I have "packed" it somewhere...I may be a while...

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 05:30:02 pm »
i didnt know dogs get impetigo. the human form is really contagious so what out.
poor pup.  :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 05:44:17 pm »
Impetigo is a virus, but I doubt it's that - more likely a heat rash.  Treat the symptoms, and keep him hydrated.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 06:50:48 pm »
My dog suddenly came out in wet eczema Monday. She has never suffered from it before and it looked really nasty after the vet shaved most of her fur away from neck and up to and around the ears. She had a steroid injection and a spray to apply twice a day, which must really sting as she really kicks up a fuss when sprayed. It doesn't look any better today even with a buster collar (which she detests) and the surrounding fur is quite sticky feeling. If shes no better by Friday i will have to take her back to vets :(
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 07:01:48 pm »
What's in the spray, KAZ?  Might be better with a dry powder of some sort. If it's not helping I wouldn't wait till Friday.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 07:03:32 pm »
Kaz, it's an awful thing for your dog, quite painful. The main thing is to keep the goo and scabbs away. Clean it quite vigorously. Salty water a teaspoon in pint cool water helps dry the area nicely. I'm presuming the spray is an antiseptic Chlorhex or pevidine? You can spray after the salty bathing.
Hope she clears up soon  :fc:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 07:55:52 pm »
sometimes our female older Lab gets itchy, the vet has no idea but since I have Piroton ready, she has been OK.....I also find  bathing her and brushing softly helped but she only had dry skin not a rash, poor boy, its bad enough but in this heat horrid!! Just to add to the question, does anyone thing certain food either help of make matters worse? I give our dogs scrambled eggs once a week and their coats appear better, then sometimes fish in oil......My daughter had loads of allergies and rashes and is a scientist so if she does not know why she gets rashes then I guess its going to be hard for any vet!!  Hope his bits improve,, :fc:

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 10:37:00 pm »
I'm bathing all the area with salty water twice a day than allowing to dry before spraying with the medicine the vet gave me. I did speak to the other vet yesterday and she said give it a couple of days and if it didn't improve she would probably have to have a course of steroid injections. I'll see how she is in the morning and go from there. It couldn't be in a more awkward place being around her neck as it is where her collar sits. She has had the collar & buster collar off since 4pm to try and let the air to it, but I have had to but both collars back on otherwise she will have a field day scratching it overnight.
My heart goes out to her. I hate to see an animal in pain & discomfort. :(
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 11:03:19 pm »
I'd be more inclined to pop socks on her paws to stop the scratching as a collar and buster collar may make the area worse.
The neck area ids a common place for 'hotspots' affects any breed at any time but I think the summer heat aggravates dogs with thick coats.

Has the piriton settled your parsons itching bits n bobs, Greenerlife?

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 07:45:58 am »
I was thinking something on the feet, not sure what's available ??? .......I am itchy today and I cannot stop scratching...

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 08:54:51 am »
I'd be more inclined to pop socks on her paws to stop the scratching as a collar and buster collar may make the area worse.
The neck area ids a common place for 'hotspots' affects any breed at any time but I think the summer heat aggravates dogs with thick coats.

Has the piriton settled your parsons itching bits n bobs, Greenerlife?

He takes Piriton quite regularly anyway mammyshaz.  This morning he has at least eaten his breakfast so hopefully feeling a little less dejected!  I found the calamine lotion and he really didn't like the cooling effect and tried to lick it off, then realised it really doesn't taste nice, and was retching a bit, but he does seem a little bit more perky today - fingers crossed!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 03:02:20 pm »
 :fc: , its so hot I want to take the dogs to the sea but feel rough myself :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS