Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help, dog needed ASAP  (Read 6945 times)

aess35

• Joined Jan 2013
Help, dog needed ASAP
« on: July 14, 2013, 11:45:02 am »
 :'( Our beautiful Blue Merle sheepdog was run over by a speeding motorist yesterday and as well as leaving a family in shock it has left us without a valuable work asset.  Does anyone need to re-home a working dog, it has to be good with other dogs and children and not mind travelling.  We could offer it a loving home and a good working life.  I'm in Central Scotland but I'm more than prepared to travel.  :fc:

AnnS

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Help, dog needed ASAP
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 01:48:28 pm »
Just wanted to say how sorry I am.

AnnS

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 02:25:02 pm »
So sorry - that must be devastating  :'(

These guys sometimes have dogs suitable for working:

www.fostbc.org.uk/awaitingAdoption.php

Or if prepared to pay for a dog with strong working lines then Killiebrae Sheepdogs currently have some that are ready to go - shepherd is Derek Scrimgeour and his farm is in Keswick

www.bordercollie.gb.com/gallery_3.html

aess35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 02:57:49 pm »
So sorry - that must be devastating  :'(

These guys sometimes have dogs suitable for working:

www.fostbc.org.uk/awaitingAdoption.php

Or if prepared to pay for a dog with strong working lines then Killiebrae Sheepdogs currently have some that are ready to go - shepherd is Derek Scrimgeour and his farm is in Keswick

www.bordercollie.gb.com/gallery_3.html

Definately prepared to pay..I know it will be around the £1000 mark, just thought I'd try an adoption first..thanks very much for the info colliewobbles I'll give them a go. :-)

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 03:20:03 pm »
To be honest - I don't think Derek's are that much if you buy a youngster, but then I could be wrong.  I know that his dogs are excellent working lines and had the privilege of seeing him win almost everything with Laddie at the National trials in Derbyshire a few years ago.  We then went on up to his Keswick farm and he gave me some lessons with my boy.  We also got to meet the superb Laddie plus some of his pups - was one of the best days I have ever had and it was pouring with rain all day too!!

I am in contact with lots of people involved in collie rescue and I will put a call-out on my FB wall to see if anyone knows of any working line dogs that are languishing in rescue or the wrong home somewhere - will let you know if I hear of anything.

In the meantime - good luck.

Donna x

aess35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 03:35:50 pm »
 :thumbsup: many thanks Donna, I have emailed the FOSTB to see if they have anything at the moment.  the major problem with rescue centres is they don't like re-homing to people with young children and i have a 3 year old but who knows.

Angela

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 04:51:43 pm »
Have just been told about this place - based in Cumbria and focus on working dogs so might be worth contacting.  They don't have a website though, just a Facebook page:

www.facebook.com/pages/Morgans-Dog-Rescue/244076885635414?sk=photos#!/pages/Morgans-Dog-Rescue/244076885635414

And also this place in Scotland that breeds her own and also sometimes has rescued dogs available:

sheepdogsforsale.com/sheepdogsforsale.php
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 05:24:23 pm by colliewobbles »

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 05:07:09 pm »
I know of a 12 year old collie in need of rehoming, but he is maybe to old for you. In arbroath
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

aess35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 06:03:06 pm »
I know of a 12 year old collie in need of rehoming, but he is maybe to old for you. In arbroath

Age is not really an issue as long as it can still work well and is sociable

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 06:20:43 pm »
I don't think it has much contact with children, it has been housed in a barn and is probably lacking social skills. It hasn't had much of a life to be honest and has been retired for about 9 months. The farmer was going to shoot it but my friend is now seeing to it although it still lives in the same barn as wouldn't cope with a home situation.
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

aess35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 06:48:31 pm »
And also this place in Scotland that breeds her own and also sometimes has rescued dogs available:

sheepdogsforsale.com/sheepdogsforsale.php
[/quote]

E-mail sent, one looks promising. Also heard of one on Skye that might do.  :fc:

Angela x

aess35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 06:57:01 pm »
I don't think it has much contact with children, it has been housed in a barn and is probably lacking social skills. It hasn't had much of a life to be honest and has been retired for about 9 months. The farmer was going to shoot it but my friend is now seeing to it although it still lives in the same barn as wouldn't cope with a home situation.

It might not take kindly to a new home with kids then..best place would be some one with a handful of sheep so he can be semi retired but not left for dead..that happens a lot. :thinking:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 07:18:21 pm »
So sorry to hear that - €$>%#€¥ speeding motorists, driving faster than their brains work  :rant:

Rosie, on here was looking at re homing three dogs. As I understand from the thread, the two girls have gone but there was a year old dog who had started with livestock - I guess he'd be a bit green but you'd be able to teach him your ways?

aess35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 07:30:02 pm »
thanks jaykay..i actually saw Rosies thread and asked about the dogs last night but haven't heard anything as yet.

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 08:58:00 pm »
Things sounding promising, will keep  :fc: for you xx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS