Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fly Strike  (Read 21019 times)

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: Fly Strike
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2013, 05:57:12 pm »
hi is it the net tex strike spray or the net tex fly and maggot killer I need? iv just had a lamb get two tiny spots today that's iv clipeed, cleaned and blue sprayed but be good to get something that actually kills them...both spots on back on the line where the clik was applied only 5 weeks ago!!!

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2013, 07:37:15 pm »
I think you need the Flystrike Spray, the other is an insecticide to use in the home (the product info for the Fly & Maggot Killer says "Safe to use near (but not on) livestock".
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

smallflockshearing

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2013, 08:13:37 pm »
Hi jen - maggots breath through their bums, and they breath oxygen, so best to suffocate them if you can't get hold of crovect to treat.  Try thick sudocrem or vaseline over the offending patch once you have picked out what you can.
You can shear lambs in the first 6 months, that's fine - many people shear lambs to stimulate their growth.  Don't leave it too late though... :gloomy:
Best thing to prevent flystrike is still clik, although understandably there are some sceptics on this forum.  Really, best thing to prevent flystrike is good luck, and then keeping your eyes open and treat what happens!
Carefully shearing small flocks throughout the South-West.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2013, 10:03:16 pm »
hi is it the net tex strike spray or the net tex fly and maggot killer I need? iv just had a lamb get two tiny spots today that's iv clipeed, cleaned and blue sprayed but be good to get something that actually kills them...both spots on back on the line where the clik was applied only 5 weeks ago!!!

I dont know whether this has been done to death, but Clik is a growth inhibitor - you will still get eggs and you will still get maggots. All it does is make them unable to moult into the final stage (the one that does the damage - the smaller maggots lack mouthparts), so they will drop off the sheep and die. Crovect kills and treats, but not for as long as clik.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2013, 10:13:23 am »
I've just done ours again this morning  :-\  we had a bit left in the bottle and the lambs have been itching this week (last done mid-end July) so apart from the 2 that are going to slaughter next week we treated the rest. The weather here is really humid and damp, perfect growing conditions so better be safe than sorry...

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2013, 12:11:50 pm »
Best thing to prevent flystrike is still clik, although understandably there are some sceptics on this forum.  Really, best thing to prevent flystrike is good luck, and then keeping your eyes open and treat what happens!

<insert woolshedding sheep comment here>
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 12:15:10 pm by SteveHants »

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2013, 12:21:56 pm »
I treated all mine with Crovect again yesterday - hopefully that should be the last time treatment necessary this year.   Prevention is better than cure.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS