Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: liming and ewe fertility  (Read 1963 times)

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
liming and ewe fertility
« on: September 18, 2013, 03:11:10 pm »
I'm sure it's the case that high levels of calcium inhibit oestrogen and will have a damaging effect on fertility. my fields desperately need limng and i am keen to apply asap. if i apply it now is this likely to have any effect on ewes going to the ram in those fields in November ?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: liming and ewe fertility
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 03:18:17 pm »
Why do you think they need liming?

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 03:22:11 pm »
phs 4.8- severely restricting nutrient availability N P K and a host of others. I work in that area so dont have any doubt about the need- just not sure about how long should keep sheep off the field

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 11:01:26 pm »
Why do you think that calcium affects fertility? Never heard this and generally higher levels are required during pregnancy, growth and lactation (at least in humans).

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 11:16:02 am »
it's feeling like one of those times when you're sure you heard something but can't remember where or when. the distinct absence of others leaping in to say that they have heard this too is making me wonder whether I dreamt it - although it doesn't sound as if it would have been one of my most interesting dreams !! unless I hear otherwise i'm going to assume I was dreaming

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 01:39:39 pm »
Would your vet know?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS