Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Oil leak from MF135!  (Read 11032 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Oil leak from MF135!
« on: July 13, 2013, 10:09:25 pm »
Hi all- just bought a beautiful  MF135 (1975). Everything looked tidy and drove fine (3000 hours) but it had an oil leak and the guy I bought it from fixed it (replaced the gasket). All has been well for 1 week- I am a rookie tractor owner and have been practicing for maybe 20 minutes each day- but it is leaking oil again after a bit of a road run...top gear lots of throttle etc.....aghhhhhhhh!!! (so far about 2 or 3ml from what I think is the sump area under the engine...I get the the feeling as it cools down the rate of leakage is slowing).
Help! Shall I worry? I assume as long as I keep topping up with oil I don't risk damaging the engine? Does it need fixing ASAP?
How much do you think it would it cost to get someone to fix it for me? (I am no mechanic!).
Any comments would be greatfully recieved  :farmer:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Oil leak from MF135!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 10:44:47 pm »
Whereabouts are you?

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 11:42:46 pm »
It's when it stops leaking that you've got problems as there's no oil left :D

Keep the oil topped up but try to find where the leak is coming from. In the meantime, you've got active anti corrosion control, like on a Land Rover
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 09:30:04 am »
Hi...I am in Sheffield. Can anyone give me an idea about whether I should continue to drive it or get it fixed. Considering it has already been fixed will a decent mechanic be able to work out the problem and sort it once and for all? How uch do you think this sort of job would cost? Thanks for any help you might be able to give me!

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 09:44:10 am »
First a warning I'm no expert!

In many cases a small leak is no problem but it will depend on what is leaking where. Is it a sump oil leak or a transmission leak etc ?

It also makes a difference to how easy the job of replacing a sump gasket as to whether it is a straight or a swept front axle.

I'd suggest that you take a photo and then join/post on one of the vintage tractor forums. They would be able to advise much better (I imagine).

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 05:30:26 pm »
Sounds like the breather pipe is blocked causing over pressure

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 08:29:22 pm »
You say 2 - 3ml.....  I wouldn't worry too much, it's an old machine , oil leaks of small quantities go with the territory.  Keep an eye on levels,  the engine oil, dip stick on the side of the engine. Transmission oil dip stick on the side of the gearbox under your seat.   So long as they don't drop rapidly its likely all is fine.  It's a job for the perfectionist stopping absolutely every leak.

Can you tell us where the leak is ?  Most common on 135 is for the engine crank shaft oil seal to weep, this lets oil into the clutch housing, which has a hole in the bottom, specifically to allow oil to escape without causing problems to the clutch. You will see oil on the floor just forward of the gear stick if this is the case.

Cheers. Stu

Julestools

• Joined Mar 2013
  • In my shed
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 11:15:57 pm »
Black oil or clean oil

Black oil is from the engine... just keep an eye on the level and top up as needed
Clean oil is from the transmission/hydraulics.. keep an eye on the level and top up as needed

As someone said before... if it stops leaking it's empty

The engine holds about 2.5 gallons so it has plenty to lose before it goes bang

Don't worry.... life's too short!

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 11:20:56 am »
Hey folks! Thanks a lot for the info. Very helpful indeed...yes it is black oil and an experienced neighbour has had a look and is sure that it is from the crankshaft oil seal (from the plate in front of the split pin...and a bit from the split pin). I'm collecting any drips and also keeping an eye on the dip sticks to see that it still has some...yes you are right life is too short to worry about it  :)
I have contacted a local engineer so will ask him to have a look also and fix if necessary.
cheers,

Julestools

• Joined Mar 2013
  • In my shed
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 11:33:57 pm »
It's a big job... the tractor will need to be split and the clutch and flywheel removed. Clutch plate and bearings may as well be replaced at the same time. It will take at least 5 hours to do. If it was mine i wouldn't bother unless it was leaking a significant amount of oil

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS