Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: SBV Vaccine (Schmallenberg)  (Read 6764 times)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: SBV Vaccine (Schmallenberg)
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 11:03:07 pm »
Hello mbmtkg!

:wave:

We haven't decided what to do yet. Would have preferred to discuss it with our vets, but we are having vet trouble at the mo (practice we have used for 8 years has been bought over, and the vets who have treated the goats for these last 8 years are having to now do small animals only, so we have to start with the other practice who bought them over as they are doing the large animal work instead). Will need to decide soon, because I have a couple of goats I would get served in September if they come in.

Beth

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 10:42:23 am »
It is a subcutaneous for goats.........same as the clostridial one.
The recommendation is to vaccinate all breeding females....................hopefully to help reduce spread of virus and to ensure (as far as possible) the health and well being of next year's kids

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 09:59:49 pm »
This is interesting. I don't usually vacinate my goats as my vet thought it unnecessary as they do not have contact with others, but I have wondered about this one. Now thinking that maybe I should. Is it an under the skin vacination or intra-muscular?

Are your goats not covered for tetanus then?

Beth

Not for anything but they are yarded so less risk of injury.

It is a subcutaneous for goats.........same as the clostridial one.
The recommendation is to vaccinate all breeding females....................hopefully to help reduce spread of virus and to ensure (as far as possible) the health and well being of next year's kids

I've been reading more stuff and it seems to just be in Scotland. as we are much further south and hardly have any midges, we may be safe. Forgot to ring the vet today so must do it tomorrow.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 10:43:12 pm »
The actual path of the virus this year........taken from statistics of deformed/ problems out of the ordinary kids.........seems to be Kent, Sussex, along the south into Dorset, some unexplained issues in Devon.   Then through the middle of UK along Welsh borders.   It seems to have moved in a sort of diagonal fashion across UK.
Scotland is far from being the only area affected.     It is true that a number of reports may not have been Schmallenberg but these came from reputable sources who have never experienced such issues before..................so this must be taken into account.
I too, had a couple of kids with problems that certainly fitted the SBV symptoms but as they were born in January, it never crossed my mind at the time.

ferretkeeper

• Joined May 2013
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Brecon View Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 09:17:50 am »
Had a long meeting with my vets yesterday to discuss a farm health plan.

SBV came up - she said she personally wasn't vaccinating her sheep.

It seems immunity is acquired by the mother if bitten say this time of year, and not in kid/lamb? Am I right in thinking it's the ones who are bitten and infected while pregnant that pass the virus on to the young? So it seemed to affect the early lambing(kidding) farms who want market ready lambs much earlier in the year than perhaps us smallholders, who can wait til spring for births and finish lambs etc in the autumn. That seems to be the answer for me, plus it's a much nicer time of year to be kidding and lambing, grass growing etc.

I lost a kid (then the nanny) at the start of April and the attending vet suspected SBV - the kid had some slight deformities. I had another kid born just a fortnight ago and being conceived later missed all midge activity, and she's 100% fine.
breconviewfarm.co.uk Rare breed, free range.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 04:41:18 pm »
Immunity in an animal that has been bitten & then lambed/kidded ....is not certain.   Vets are generally advising vaccinate this year and assess the results.    Too many lambs/kids were lost this year to miscellaneous causes............ones not normally seen by v.experienced breeders.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 05:45:12 pm »
Thanks, Jane. I will definitely be talking to my vet about this, Shropshire being part of the Wales borders.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS