Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Air rifle  (Read 12037 times)

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Air rifle
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 01:06:54 pm »
If you dont belive me speak to your local firearms officer or the BASC, low power or not it still needs to be locked away.

Safe shooting everyone.

Luckily the police don't make or interpret the legislation; Parliament and the courts do.

The Home Office Guidance is pretty specific on this so would suggest that your Firearms Officer is wrong.

Reasonable precautions 6.  The new offence requires people to take ‘reasonable precautions’ to prevent unauthorised access to an air weapon by young persons aged under 18. What will constitute ‘reasonable precautions’ will depend on the particular circumstances in each individual case and it is therefore not possible to be prescriptive. However, the simple steps set out below are a useful starting point. The guidance which follows has been drawn up in consultation with ACPO, the main shooting organisations and others to help everyone make informed and consistent decisions about the safe-keeping of air weapons.
7.  Different considerations will apply depending on whether an air weapon is in use or not, and it is helpful to look at these scenarios separately. 
 Storage at home when not in use 8.  A key issue is the presence, or likely presence, of young people under the age of 18. Many people either have young children themselves or are visited by friends and relatives with young children. In order to comply with the new provisions they will therefore need to take reasonable precautions to prevent those children gaining unauthorised access to any air weapons stored in their home.
9.  In many cases, this can be achieved by using an existing, suitably robust, lockable cupboard and by keeping the keys separate and secure. Alternatively, they could use a lock or locking device by which an air weapon can be attached to the fabric of a building, or to a fixed feature, or a security cord, lockable chain or similar device attached to a point of anchorage within the building.
10.  Where children are very young, it might be sufficient simply to store any air weapons up high and out of their reach, but some form of security cord or similar device would be preferable to guard against a climbing child or older children. This also applies where someone lives alone and they are not normally visited by children.
11.  If someone keeps a number of air weapons, perhaps as tools of their job, it might be useful to look at some of the security measures set out in the Home Office’s Firearms Security Handbook 2005.  Although that publication is aimed at the security of licensed firearms, they might find some of the Level One security measures suggested for certificate holders equally relevant to the safe storage of air weapons.
12.  Anyone who already holds other firearms could use their existing gun cabinet for their air weapon, provided this did not compromise security of those other firearms.
13.  Air weapons should be stored within the occupied part of a building and not in an outbuilding, such as a garage or shed, where there is no regular presence to check that the weapons remain secure.
14.  Air weapons should always be unloaded when stored. However, this would not be sufficient in itself since the new offence relates to unauthorised access to the weapon. Neither could it be relied on to be safe since air weapon pellets can be accessible to young people and they could be in possession of some at the time they gain unauthorised access to an air weapon.   

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 02:12:07 pm »
Thank you all for your comprehensive inputs, it's a seed that's planted in our heads now so may not be until next year we do anything about it by which time laws etc may have changed so we will probably consult our local shooting shop about it.

Good to have some background knowledge on your thoughts though, many thanks all  :)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 05:13:36 pm »
the old rural schoolboy stalwart air-rifle the BSA Meteor is still available IIRC, not sure of the price now but it used to be a good value, full power rifle.

Yes, I've got one of those. It's nothing fancy, but it does the job. I paid £150 for it second hand, including the scope and a carry case. HTH!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 06:06:07 pm »
This is very useful. For some reason my ex took our good air rifle with him, though he 'hates farming' (amongst other things!) so I'm not sure what he's going to use it for.

Whatever, I need a new one, the numbers of jackdaws here are ridiculous.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 06:10:59 pm »
as an aside how hard is it to get a fire arms licence for a proper .22 rifle?

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 06:34:00 pm »
Bloomer if your keen to get invloved in shooting pm me and i can take you through it.

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 06:43:13 pm »
To respond to Henchard, if you had an FAC you would know its the police that make it up as they go along just look at the recent news by the ACPO admitting it. They regularly come up with some crackers like you can have a licence but only if you shoot with a mentor. or if you want a handgun for dispatching you need to blank off 4 of the 6 revolver chambers duh, tell that to the red stag full of testosterone about to rip you to shreds.  I'm a proud, responsible and insured shooter and have just completed my DSC level2. I cannot recommend enough joining an organisation such as the BASC or NOBS or countryside alliance.   

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 08:28:04 pm »
To respond to Henchard, if you had an FAC you would know.......

Whilst not wishing to get into an argument you said previously (and I do hold a shotgun certificate BTW)

As for the last post on locking them away i don't agree as an FAC and a shot gun licence holder the current ruling by the police is it must not be accessable to anyone who is not authorised to use it so simply chaining it up does not wash. .........

The other option for goosepimple is to get in contact with the BASC ..........Also contact them for independent advice if you don't believe me.

BASC also agree with me, in fact they publish their own guidance which is exactly the same as the advice I posted before

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/shooting/airgunning/airgun-guidance-and-fact-sheets.cfm

Both the Home Office and BASC advice states

Alternatively, you could use a lock or locking device by which your air weapon can be attached to the fabric of a building, or to a fixed feature. Or you could use a security cord, lockable chain or similar device attached to a point of anchorage within the building.

For a succesful prosecution the police would first have to convince the CPS that they have a case (i.e nothing to do with any Police Officer) and then prove it in a court of law. The CPS would clearly not take a case where someone was clearly complying with the Home Office Guidance.

I've Googled for details of any prosecutions under the legislation and can find none. I'm not saying there aren't any but would just like to see details of these cases that you referred to previously.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 09:17:38 pm »
My 14 year old recently bought an air rifle.

He was just told that he couldn't carry it in public without a case. Was told that he could shoot on anyones land so long as he had permission.

Didn't think there were any rules for airgun storage only shotguns.

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2013, 08:53:24 am »
We are talking about rifles here not shotguns. I don't feel that promoting the insecure storage of an item that has the potential to injure or kill someone is the kind of thing that should be on the forum. Besides none of this helps the original poster which is the point of the forum, they are probably more confused than when they started.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2013, 09:50:26 pm »
My 14 year old recently bought an air rifle.

He was just told that he couldn't carry it in public without a case. Was told that he could shoot on anyones land so long as he had permission.

Didn't think there were any rules for airgun storage only shotguns.
A 14 year old was sold an air rifle  :o
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2013, 05:29:15 am »

did anyone see countryfile this week about all the lead pellets found on land, kills ducks etc was interesting.

interesting but very bias and mostly inaccurate

highest levels of lead found in cereal crop!!! therefore bread, beer etc but they wont mention that often

larson trap or reasonable air rifle and sitting quietly as crows are a very wary bird

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2013, 08:48:00 am »
Hi nicandem, see previous post on this thread. I agree.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2013, 05:36:16 am »
I had the opportunity to buy a clay pigeon shooting ground many years ago. It occupied good farmland and had been in heavy use for 30 years. We calculated that the value of the lead on the ground was half the sale price and it can be extracted to about 90%. The topsoil is lifted and sieved. The fine material then goes between rollers which crushes the pellets. It is then re-seived and the flattened pellets taken out.

During my clay busting career I shot over two tons of lead I think -worked it out once. 150,000 one ounce cartridges. I knew many people on the circuit who had shot 10x that much.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2013, 10:22:12 am »
At £950 a tonne, that's pretty good going...
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS