Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Air rifle  (Read 12036 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Air rifle
« on: July 09, 2013, 09:37:08 am »
I'm fed up with the crows, they're eating all our ducklings and leaving the mums with zero.  OH mentioned getting an air rifle. 

What is your experience.  Is there any noise at all (don't want to scare the ducks and geese). 

At what distance can you use them?

Do you need a license these days for one?

What's the alternative - we've tried scare crows with chiffon scarves which float easily in the wind but didn't work, they're nesting in the trees above the mill (duck) pond.

Many thanks.

registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Re: Air rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 10:55:36 am »
They can be virtually silent and as long as the power is under 12 ft-lbs, you don't need a licence. Depending o calibre you're looking at an effective killing range of 30-50yds. A decent air rifle is expensive, mind. You can pick up a .22LR for peanuts but you'll need a FAC

Crows are one of the species you can shoot all year round
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 11:21:42 am »
the old rural schoolboy stalwart air-rifle the BSA Meteor is still available IIRC, not sure of the price now but it used to be a good value, full power rifle.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 12:07:43 pm »
I bought a Weihrauch HW97K spring powered .22 air rifle right at the legal limit, second hand for £265 -a real bargain (£620 new). Also bought a big Milldot telesight for £56 (£150 new). The combination is incredible. Very accurate and very reliable with not too much noise. If you want quiet you need a gas powered unit with silencer which are rather more expensive. Fitting a silencer to a spring powered rifle does little as it's the spring that makes the noise. But I was looking for extreme reliability and ease of spare parts. Unfortunately it is above the French limit by a long way and the mainspring had to remain in the UK. Over here I need a Permis de Chasse to be able to own and use a sufficiently powerful air rifle.

You must hit them in the head Goosepimple -the pellets will bounce off their feathers.

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 12:48:29 pm »
Remember you now have to keep it locked in an FAC standard cabinet. 30-50 yds is a bit hopeful, i would not go much further than 30 max, they just dont have the power. I normally use a 20 or 12 gauge shotgun, i do have a 22LR but sometimes they will take a few shots to get a clean kill.
You could try a larson trap - it needs to be registered with your local wildlife police officer. you could look at moderated shotguns they are very quiet with subsonic ammo.
The most effective way of dealing with them is by blowing the nests once the eggs are there. its brought our local population down from circa 800 to 100 ish.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 05:14:25 am »
Remember you now have to keep it locked in an FAC standard cabinet

Not strictly true. In fairness, I didn't realise the law had changed but from the Crime and Security Act 2010:

"9.  In many cases, this can be achieved by using an existing, suitably robust, lockable cupboard and by keeping the keys separate and secure. Alternatively, they could use a lock or locking device by which an air weapon can be attached to the fabric of a building, or to a fixed feature, or a security cord, lockable chain or similar device attached to a point of anchorage within the building."

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 08:39:42 am »
I thought it only had to be locked away if possibly accessible to someone under 16? On that basis we didn't put it in a gun cabinet but simply locked the shed. No matter now, you can't have them here as a 10 Joule rifle (8 ft lbs) wouldn't kill a rabbit over 15 yards and you never get that close anyway.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 08:46:10 am »
killing crows ?
The OH is in Rutland just now and was sat in the garden with a 1 yea old and the 2 day old baby when a load of lead pellets showered the garden. they overlook fiels and the lads keeping crows off of crops were shooting up the hill towards the houses. neighbours called the police but the lads legged it and the farmer claims that he met them in a pub and does not know them.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 08:56:54 am »
[size=78%] [/size]
Do you need a license these days for one?

Seem to recall that Scotland are going to introduce legislation requiring Airguns to be licensed.

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 09:40:12 am »
it looks like that is the way its going. Any new rifle purchased needs to be registered. As for the last post on locking them away i don't agree as an FAC and a shot gun licence holder the current ruling by the police is it must not be accessable to anyone who is not authorised to use it so simply chaining it up does not wash. There has now been quite a few cases where people have been prosecuted for not having them properly secured when the police have visited for another reason.

The other option for goosepimple is to get in contact with the BASC and get someone locally who will be insured like myself. Also contact them for independent advice if you don't believe me.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 10:35:14 am »

The OH is in Rutland just now and was sat in the garden with a 1 yea old and the 2 day old baby when a load of lead pellets showered the garden.

did anyone see countryfile this week about all the lead pellets found on land, kills ducks etc was interesting.

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 12:42:30 pm »
Yeah what the guy being interviewed did not tell everyone was the land he bought used to be a clay pigeon ground...........

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 12:55:01 pm »
As for the last post on locking them away i don't agree

Don't know whether you think the legislation is wrong but I quoted it direct from here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/crime-and-security-act-2010-commencement-no-2-order-2011-air-weapons

For a sub-12ftlbs rifle you don't need a cabinet

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 12:58:12 pm »
If you dont belive me speak to your local firearms officer or the BASC, low power or not it still needs to be locked away.

Safe shooting everyone.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 01:03:06 pm »
Yeah what the guy being interviewed did not tell everyone was the land he bought used to be a clay pigeon ground...........

that would explain all those pellets on his roof then ! very bizarre not to mention that!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS